Sept. 11, 2004
Easton, MA-- The women's cross country team placed first out of seven teams at the Stonehill College Invitational on Saturday, September 11. The Bears finished with a team score of 28 points, 5 better than second place Stonehill.
Only seven runners competed for Brown, allowing those who had not competed for a long time to get their legs back, and for the freshmen to gain some collegiate experience in a non-high pressure meet. All Brown runners placed in the top ten. Sophomore Naja Ferjan (Ljubljan, Slovenia) finished first for the Bears and second overall with a time of 19:13 over the 5000m course. Brown took places 5-8, with freshman Becky Crossin (Annandale, NJ) finishing 5th in 19:45. Crossin was followed by fellow freshman Smita Gupta (Tulsa, OK), Jilane Rodgers '06 (Brea, CA), and Alex Brown '08 (Kingston, NY). Madeleine Marecki '07 (Morris, CT) and Kathleen Loughlin '07 (Portland, OR) finished 8 seconds apart, in 9th and 10th places. There were 59 competitors in the race.
Brown competes next at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational on Saturday, September 18.
1. Brown University 28
2. Stonehill College 33
3. Merrimack College 106
4. Bryant College 120
5. Southern Connecticut State University 132
6. University of Massachusetts Lowell 138
7. Franklin Pierce College 208
1. Dianna Chivakos, Stonehill College, 18:52
2. Naja Ferjan, Brown University, 19:13
3. Kelly Chaisson, Stonehill College, 19:24
4. Erin Smith, Stonehill College, 19:28
5. Becky Crossin, Brown University, 19:45
6. Smita Gupta, Brown University, 20:05
7. Jilane Rodgers, Brown University, 20:12
8. Alex Brown, Brown University, 20:20
9. Madeleine Marecki, Brown University, 20:27
10. Kathleen Loughlin, Brown University, 20:35