March 29, 2005
RIVERSIDE, CA - The Brown women's tennis team (6-4), picked up a 5-2 win over UC Riverside (6-9) on Tuesday afternoon at the Student Recreation Center courts.
The doubles point came down to the #1 match between senior Alex Arlak (Leonia, NJ) and sophomore Daisy Ames (Atlanta, GA) and Riverside's Casey Cross and HR Espiritu. Arlak and Ames came from behind in the tiebreaker to post a 9-8 win as Brown earned the doubles point. Sophomores Amanda Saiontz (Miami, FL) and Michelle Pautler (Kamuela, HI) posted the other win, with an 8-2 victory at #3.
In singles play the Highlanders took an early lead, winning the first set in four of the matches. However, Brown came back to post a win at #6 as freshman Kelley Kirkpatrick (Villanova, PA) rallied from 5-4 in the second set to post a 7-5 win, then finished with a 6-2 win for a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory. Combined with wins at #4 and #5 singles, Kirkpatrick's victory clinched the match for the Bears.
The final match of the night went to the wire, but Arlak outlasted Casey Cross at #2 (4-6, 7-6, 7-6).
The Bears continue action tomorrow afternoon at Loyola Marymount.
1. Arlak/Ames (B) def. Cross/Espiritu (UCR); 9-8
2. Beyronneau/Yoshimoto (UCR) def. Kirkpatrick/Pariser (B); 9-8
3. Saiontz/Pautler (B) def. Chau/Cabanilla (UCR); 8-2
1. Beyronneau (UCR) def. Saiontz (B); 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
2. Arlak (B) def. Cross (UCR); 4-6, 7-6, 7-6
3. H.R. Espiritu (UCR) def. Ames (B); 6-1,7-6
4. Ivancevic (B) def. Cabanilla (UCR); 6-3, 6-2
5. Pariser (B) def. Yoshimoto (UCR); 6-2, 6-1
6. Kirkpatrick (B) def. Chau (UCR); 3-6. 7-5, 6-2