PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown women's tennis team was edged by No. 44 Princeton, 4-3, on Sunday at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The Bears captured the doubles point but the Tigers would later win the decisive sixth singles match in three sets for the victory.
Senior Alyza Benotto (Los Angeles, Calif.) and sophomore Devon Jack (San Marino, Calif.) teamed up in second doubles to open the day with a 6-3 win. The victory for Benotto marks her 77th career doubles win on College Hill, moving her into a tie with Misia Krasowski '13 for fourth all-time at Brown.
Princeton next tied the round with a 6-4 showing in third doubles but the Bears battled back to win the point when senior Maddie Stearns (Short Hills, N.J.) and freshman Courtney Kowalsky (Oyster Bay, N.Y.) took their first doubles match 6-4.
The Tigers dominated the opening of singles play, winning in third, first and second to hold a 3-1 match advantage. Brown started its comeback when junior Taylor Cosme (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) recorded a hard fought 7-6 (3), 6-4 win in the fourth spot. Kowalsky followed in fifth singles with a 6-4, 6-2 display. The match came down to sixth singles where sophomore Juliana Simon (Los Angeles, Calif.) put forth a solid effort but was clipped in three sets, 6-7, 6-3, 7-6.
The Bears next close out the regular season on the road at Columbia on Saturday, April 21 and at Cornell on Sunday, April 22. Both matches are set to start at 1:00 p.m.
1. Stearns/Kowalsky (B) def. Schrage/Kalhorn, 6-4
2. Benotto/Jack (B) def. McKee/Steffensen, 6-3
3. Goodwin/Rodilosso (P) def. Ta/Oloko, 6-4
1. Steffensen (P) def. Benotto, 6-4, 6-2
2. Schrage (P) def. Stearns, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Kalhorn (P) def. Jack, 6-3, 6-2
4. Cosme (B) def. McKee, 7-6 (3), 6-4
5. Kowalsky (B) def. Pollner, 6-4, 6-2
6. Rodilosso (P) def. Simon, 6-7, 6-3, 7-6