PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown women's tennis team defeated Penn, 5-2, on Saturday at the Pizzitola Sports Center to improve to 3-1 this season in Ivy League play.
The Bears won the doubles point, coming from behind after Penn opened the round by winning third doubles. Senior Maddie Stearns (Short Hills, N.J.) and freshman Courtney Kowalsky (Oyster Bay, N.Y.) tied up play when they won first doubles, 6-3, while senior Alyza Benotto (Los Angeles, Calif.) and sophomore Devon Jack (San Marino, Calif.) sealed the point for Brown with a 6-4 victory in the second spot.
Stearns started off singles play with a 6-2, 6-4 win in the top position for a 2-0 Bear lead. Penn came back to tie the match with wins in fourth and second singles before Brown closed out the day with three consecutive victories. Junior Taylor Cosme (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) notched the first win of the sequence in fifth singles, 6-3, 6-1. Jack then came back to win her thrilling third singles match, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5) and Simon closed out the day with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph.
The Bears next host No. 44 Princeton tomorrow (April 15) for their last home match of the season and Senior Day at 1:00 p.m. on the Ivy League Network.
1. Stearns/Kowalsky (B) def. Vaidya/Zhu, 6-3
2. Benotto/Jack (B) def. Rodriguez-Benito/Singh, 6-4
3. Kowalska/Curnic (P) def. Ta/Simon, 6-3
1. Stearns (B) def. Vaidya, 6-2, 6-4
2. Kowalska (P) def. Benotto, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
3. Jack (B) def. Zhu, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Curnic (P) def. Kowalsky, 6-1, 7-6 (8)
5. Cosme (B) def. Singh, 6-3, 6-1
6. Simon (B) def. Richards, 6-1, 6-2