ITHACA, N.Y. – After dropping a 6-1 decision to Columbia yesterday, the Brown women's tennis team rebounded to upend Cornell, 5-2 on Sunday at the Reis Tennis Center. With the win, Brown improves to 13-7 overall and 2-2 in Ivy League play while the Big Red drops to 7-8, 0-5 in Ivy play this season.
The Bears jumped out of the gate early in doubles play as the duo of Hannah Camhi/Dayna Lord defeated Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo, 8-5. Sarah Kandath and Nikita Uberoi's 8-6 victory over Shannon Comolli/Lauren Frazier secured the doubles point for Brown prior to singles action.
After Ammu Mandalap dropped the opening match, Brown responded with three consecutive victories from Lord, Ashley Noyes, and Kandath to put Brown up 4-1. The teams split the final two matches, as Camhi outlasted D'Ascenzo in the No. 2 singles slot, 6-7 (6), 6-4, 4-3 (4).
The Bears return to action next Friday as they travel to Harvard to battle the Crimson at 2 p.m.
BROWN 5, CORNELL 2
Sunday's results; at Reis Tennis Center; Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Hannah Camhi/Dayna Lord (B) def. Marika Cusick/Alexandra D'Ascenzo, 8-5
2. Sarah Kandath/Nikita Uberoi (B) def. Shannon Comolli/Lauren Frazier (C), 8-6
3. Christy Kung/Dena Tanenbaum (C) vs. Ammu Mandalap/Ashley Noyes, unfinished (6-6)
1. Lord (B) def. Tanenbaum, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
2. Camhi (B) def. D'Ascenzo, 6-7(6), 6-4, 4-3(4)
3. Cusick (C) def. Uberoi, 6-4, 5-7, (10-6)
4. Kandath (B) def. Frazier, 6-3, 6-4
5. Comolli (C) def. Mandalap, 6-4, 7-5
6. Noyes (B) def. Kung, 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2), Singles (5,1,6,4,3,2)