Stone's Overtime Goal Lifts Bears to 2-1 Win over Yale

Stone's Overtime Goal Lifts Bears to 2-1 Win over Yale

Nov. 8, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Sophomore Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY) scored twice, netting the game-winner with 2:43 left in the second overtime, to lift the Brown women's soccer team (7-6-4, 3-3-1) to a 2-1 victory over Yale (8-7-2, 2-4-1) on rainy Saturday evening at Stevenson Field. With the win, the Bears closed out their season with a winning record, while leap-frogging past the Bulldogs in the Ivy standings to finish in fourth place.

The game started off slowly for both teams, as both the Bears and the Bulldogs were playing somewhat tentatively in the slick conditions. On just the second shot of the game, Yale took a 1-0 lead, when Becky Brown fired a shot from about 20 yards out that bounced over junior Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) and into the back of the net just 11:34 into the contest.

The score remained 1-0 in favor of the Bulldogs for the rest of the half, as Yale's Ayana Sumiyasu recorded four saves and Hogue stopped three shots, as the Bears headed into the break trailing, 1-0. Brown's best chance of the half came with 8:52 left on a long shot from freshman Allison Kagawa (Mililani, HI). However Sumiyasu dove across the goal-mouth and tipped the ball out of harms way to hold onto the 1-0 lead.

Yale had two more great chances with less than two minutes remaining in the half, but Hogue was in the correct position to make back-to-back saves on point-blank shots from Hayley Zevenbergen and Eliza Walper just seconds apart to hold the Bears within one. However, Hogue was injured while making the second save, and was replaced by classmate Steffi Yellin (Savannah, GA) with 1:50 remaining in the half.

Brown picked up its intensity in the second half, earning a 12-7 advantage in shots on goal, but it was Yale that had the first solid look to knock another one in. With 38:44 left to play, Natalia Mann fired a shot on goal that beat Yellin. However, sophomore Charlotte Rizzi (Bethesda, MD) blocked it on the goal-line to hold the score at 1-1.

The Bears had a great chance with 14:38 left to play, but freshman Sarah Hebert-Seropian's (Vaudreuil-Dorion, QUE) shot from the top of the box was stopped by another diving save from Sumiyasu.

Brown finally broke through with just 5:44 left to play with Stone's first of the game. Rizzi served a long ball into the corner for senior Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI). Cunningham got around her defender and placed a cross into the box, where Stone headed the ball into the net to tie the game at one and force overtime.

The first overtime played out with both teams taking three shots on goal. Yale nearly won the game in the 94th minute when Becky Brown raced in on a one-vs-one with just Yellin to beat. Yellin came off her line quickly and got to Becky Brown just in time to kick the ball away from her feet and end the threat.

The Bears outshot Yale, 2-1, in the second overtime, scoring on an odd play in the 108th minute. Brown earned a corner kick at 106:53, which was taken by Stone. Stone launched the ball into the box, where it deflected into the back of the net off the leg of a Yale defender to lift the Bears to the victory.

For the game, Brown outshot Yale, 24-21, and earned nine corner kicks to Yale's four, including an 8-0 advantage during the final 62:17. Hogue finished with three saves, while Yellin posted five saves, including two in overtime, to earn the win. In four appearances this season and nearly 200 minutes, Yellin did not allow a goal, stopping all 11 shots she faced.