Carney's Golden Goal in Second OT Gives Bears 1-0 Win Over Penn

Carney's Golden Goal in Second OT Gives Bears 1-0 Win Over Penn

Oct. 28, 2007

Box Score

Providence, RI - After nearly 110 minutes of play, senior co-captain Kerrilynn Carney (North Smithfield, RI) drilled a free kick from 25 yards out across the box and into the left side of the net with just 18 seconds remaining in the second overtime, giving the Brown women's soccer team (6-8-1, 3-2-0 Ivy) a 1-0 win over Penn (11-3-1, 4-1-0 Ivy) on Sunday afternoon at Stevenson Field. The win gave sophomore goalkeeper Steffi Yellin (Savannah, GA), who made six saves, her sixth shutout of the season and fourth in five games, extending her scoreless streak to 291 minutes and 59 seconds.

The Bears came out unafraid of the first-place Quakers, controlling play for the entire first half and generating several scoring chances. Sophomore Bridget Ballard (Los Angeles, CA) had one header attempt sail over the net in the eighth minute off a cross from senior Anne Friedland (Toronto, ONT). Twelve minutes later, Friedland sent a long shot in that Penn goalkeeper Sara Rose couldn't quite corral, but senior Julia Shapira's (Los Angeles, CA) shot was stopped point blank by Rose.

Brown continued to control play at the start of the second half, with one blast off the foot of senior Susie Keller (Cincinnati, OH) in the 67th minute tipped by a diving Rose into the front of the crossbar. However, the Quakers got going soon thereafter, controlling play and putting the Bears on the defensive. Yellin made one particularly spectacular save on a first-touch shot from inside the box by Penn's Jessica Fuccello, the Ivy League leader in goals and points, showing quick reflexes to dive and stop the close-range shot.

The teams remained scoreless through the first overtime, with Yellin making two saves in that period, while Penn continued to keep play in the Brown half of the field well into the second extra frame. With the Bears fighting to hold on for at least the tie entering the final minute, the ball was played out of the Brown zone and into the Penn half of the field, where the Bears were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out and to the right of the goal. Carney took her time to line up the shot, then sent a kick to the opposite side of the net, where a scrum of players waited. While the ball found the head of a player, it was already in the net, giving the Bears a dramatic win on what would likely have been either team's last scoring chance of the game.

The win puts the Bears into a three-way tie with Yale and Harvard for third place in the Ancient Eight, while Penn falls into a tie with Princeton atop the League with two games remaining. Next weekend, Brown will travel to New Haven for a battle with the Bulldogs on Saturday.