Bears Drop Heartbreaker To Harvard, 1-0

Bears Drop Heartbreaker To Harvard, 1-0

Oct. 16, 2004

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown University (4-8, 1-3) women's soccer team battled Harvard (6-4-2, 3-1) for nearly 110:00 on Saturday evening, but came up short, dropping a 1-0 double-overtime decision to the Crimson at Stevenson Field, the Bears' first loss at home this season.

In a game that lasted nearly four hours and was halted three times for lighting, the Crimson came out after the lightning delays with renewed energy, winning the game with 6:41 left in the second overtime.

The two teams played a hard-fought first half of the game with each team getting chances to score. With 8:33 remaining in the contest, and the score still knotted at 0-0, head referee Jesus Zornosa spotted lightning in the Southwest and suspended play for the required 30:00. After nearly two hours and two more lightning sightings, the Bears and the Crimson headed back out to Stevenson Field, shortly after 10:00 p.m. After a 15:00 warm-up, the two teams began play, with Brown controlling the rest of regulation.

However, the Crimson dominated the overtime period, outshooting Brown 7-3 in the final 13:19. After a failed clearing attempt by the Brown defense, Harvard's Jamie Greenwald faked out her Brown defender and she snuck the ball past a diving Hillary Wilson (Monterey, CA) with 6:41 left in the second overtime for the win.

In net for the Bears, Wilson recorded 15 saves, including several one-on-one stops in both regulation and overtime.

Brown continues action on Wednesday, October 20, when it hosts Holy Cross in a 7:00 p.m. contest.

Harvard 1, Brown 0, 2OT
Harvard Crimson (6-4-2, 3-1) 0 0 0 1 -- 1
Brown Bears (4-8, 1-3) 0 0 0 0 -- 0
Scoring: H Jamie Greenwald, 103:19.
Saves: B, Hillary Wilson (15); H, Katie Shields (3).
Shots: Brown (12); Harvard (29)
Corner Kicks: Brown (7); Harvard (7)
Fouls: Brown (9); Harvard (14)
Offsides: Brown (1); Harvard (2)
Cautions/Ejections: H, Megan Merritt, 43:16; Unsportsmanlike Conduct.