Columbia Outlasts Bears in Ivy Battle, 2-1, in Overtime

Columbia Outlasts Bears in Ivy Battle, 2-1, in Overtime

Oct. 4, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Sophomore Kate Scott (Medway, MA) scored her third goal of the season with 18:05 remaining to tie the game at 1-1 and force overtime, but the Brown women's soccer team (4-4-2, 1-1-0) eventually fell to visiting Columbia (7-2-1, 2-0-0), 2-1, in an Ivy League battle on Saturday evening at Stevenson Field.

The Bears dominated the Lions during the early part of the game, controlling the ball through the midfield and generating several offensive opportunities. However, it was Columbia that would strike first, as Sophie Reiser beat junior Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) at 18:34 for the game's first goal.

Reiser collected the ball from freshman Ashlin Yahr along the left wing and sent what appeared to be a cross through the box. However, the ball had just enough spin on it to bend back into the goal, and hit the netting on the far side for the 1-0 lead.

Brown's best chance of the half came just 3:46 into the game when Rebecca Taylor made a save on a Scott free kick from about 40 yards out. The ball slipped out of Taylor's hands and bounced around in front of the net, but she was able to recover it before the Bears' could get to it. For the half, Brown finished with a 9-4 advantage in shots.

Columbia nearly went up 2-0 just 2:36 into the second half, but Hogue made a diving save on a shot from Yahr to hold the deficit to one goal.

The Bears finally got on the board in the 72nd minute, scoring off a corner kick from senior Alex Michael (Pacific Palisades, CA). After Columbia failed to clear the Bears' initial attempt on the corner, the ball squirted out to sophomore Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY) on the right side. She sent it back into the box, where junior Melissa Kim (Bethesda, MD) had her shot from the left blocked by a Columbia player. The ball bounced right to Scott at the top of the box, who one-timed the rebound past Taylor to knot the game at 1-1.

Following the goal, Brown regained momentum and had three dynamite chances to net the go-ahead goal in the final 18 minutes. The first came in the 76th minute on a counter-attack following a Columbia free kick, which resulted in a save by Hogue and then a blocked shot. Senior Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI) dribbled the ball up the left side and executed a perfect give-and-go with classmate Jamie Mize (Washington, DC). Mize crossed the ball to freshman Sarah Hebert-Seropian (Vaudreuil-Dorion, QUE), who had Taylor beat, but her shot from the right side went just wide of the net.

Then, with less than two minutes to play in regulation, Cunningham had back-to-back shots, both of which she nearly netted the go-ahead goal. However, her first one sailed just wide of the net, and her second one was saved by Lillian Klein, who replaced Taylor with 14:26 remaining, as the two teams headed for overtime.

Freshman Marybeth Lesbirel (Holmdel, NJ), who scored two goals in Wednesday's win over Holy Cross, had two shots in the first 3:31 of overtime, but she was unable to net the winner for Brown. Just 1:11 later, Yahr knocked a loose ball past Hogue to lift the Lions to the victory.

For the game, Hogue finished with seven saves, while Taylor and Klein combined for eight saves for the Lions. Brown will look to rebound on Wednesday when it hosts Bryant at 7:00 p.m.