Lesbirel Scores Twice to Lead Bears Past Holy Cross, 4-1

Lesbirel Scores Twice to Lead Bears Past Holy Cross, 4-1

Oct. 1, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - With the score tied 1-1 after the first half, freshman Marybeth Lesbirel (Holmdel, NJ) scored twice in a span of 1:49 to open up the game and help lead the Brown women's soccer team (4-3-2) to a 4-1 victory over Holy Cross (1-9-0) on Wednesday evening at Stevenson Field. Junior Kellie Slater (Golden, CO) had a goal and an assist in the decisive second half, while junior Kiki Manners (North Potomac, MD) also scored in the win.

Brown dominated the game from the outset, controlling the pace of play for most of the opening 20 minutes. However, it was Holy Cross that would score first, as Casey Boland fired a shot from the right side that beat junior Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) to the upper left corner on the Crusaders' first shot of the game at 19:02.

Following the goal, the Bears continued to dominate, and with just over 10 minutes left before halftime, Manners scored her first of the season to knot the contest at 1-1. Senior Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI) fired a shot on net that Jessica Stone saved. However, the Holy Cross keeper was unable to corral the rebound and Manners was right there to put it away at 34:53 for her first goal of the season.

The second half was a bit more even as the two teams each took 10 shots, but Brown connected for three more goals in a span of 7:14 to put the game out of reach. Lesbirel started the scoring at 68:46 when she got her own rebound following a Brown corner kick and lofted her shot from 25 yards out into the upper left corner of the net. Just 1:49 later, at 70:37, Slater fed Lesbirel on the right side and she launched an identical shot past Stone, this time from just inside the box.

Slater capped the run with exactly 14 minutes left to play when she got a long punt from Hogue, beat two defenders, and fired her shot over the Holy Cross goalie from about 20 yards out.

At the other end of the field, Hogue was forced to make three saves, two of them diving stops, to limit Holy Cross to just the one goal. Her first came with 30:55 remaining when Katherine Donnelly's shot from the right side of the box was headed far post, but Hogue deflected the ball out of harms way with her first diving save. The second came with 17:38 remaining on a Micaela Collins shot.

For the game, Brown finished with a 24-13 advantage in shots, 10-4 in shots on goal, and a 6-4 edge in corner kicks. The Bears continue their three-game homestand on Saturday evening when they host Columbia in a 7:00 p.m. Ivy League contest.