Seniors Moos and Mansfield each Score, as Bears Defeat Army, 2-1

Seniors Moos and Mansfield each Score, as Bears Defeat Army, 2-1

Oct. 1, 2006

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown women's soccer team (5-3-3, 0-1-1) snapped a three-game skid on Sunday afternoon, with a 2-1 victory over Army (4-7-1) in a Northeast Regional contest at Stevenson Field. The game, which was delayed by 30 minutes because of lightning in the Providence area, was played in a steady rain with both teams battling for possession and good scoring chances.

After the delay, the Bears wasted little time in setting a tone for the first half, in which Brown dominated the shot category, 14-3, and also had a 4-0 advantage in corner kicks. Senior leading scorer Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) quickly put Brown up 1-0, connecting on a feed from sophomore Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI). After beating her defender down in the left corner, Moos dribbled in and fired a shot from 18 yards out that sailed into the upper right corner, beating the diving Army goalie for the early lead.

Cunningham nearly put Brown up 2-0 less than 15 minutes later, when she had Army goalie Rebecca Garcia in a one-on-one situation, but Garcia was there to make the stop, keeping the Black Knights within one.

The Bears came out of halftime controlling the tempo once again, and senior Jill Mansfield (East Windsor, NJ) scored what would prove to be the game-winner just 15:30 into the second half. Cunningham had a hand in this goal as well to earn her second assist. Sophomore Alex Michael (Pacific Palisades, CA) and Cunningham combined on a beautiful give-and-go down the left sideline, starting with Michael passing to Cunningham in the middle of the field. Cunningham sent the ball back to Michael, who crossed the ball into the box, where Mansfield jumped up into the air, and one-timed the ball into the top of the net.

Army would not quit and nearly came to within 2-1 with just over nine minutes left to play when Drew Biddick's shot from about 35 yards out nailed the crossbar. However, less than a minute later, at 81:43, Therese Fox finally solved the Brown defense, ending the Bears' shutout bid. Fox dribbled into the box, and drew Brown freshman goalie Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) out of the net in a one-on-one situation. Fox then chipped the ball over Hogue's head and into the back of the net for the 2-1 final.

Hogue finished the game with four saves for Brown. Garcia made seven saves for Army in 60:30, allowing one goal, while Devon Collins made two saves in 29:30, also allowing one goal. The Bears return to action Saturday, October 7, when they travel to New Jersey to face Princeton in a 4:00 p.m. contest.