Stone's First of the Season Lifts Bears to 1-0 Win over Dartmouth

Stone's  First of the Season Lifts Bears to 1-0 Win over Dartmouth

Sept. 28, 2008

Box Score

HANOVER, NH - Sophomore Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY) scored her first goal of the season just 1:38 into the second half and the Bears weathered a Dartmouth attack that saw the Big Green outshoot Brown, 12-6, in the final 45 minutes, as the women's soccer team earned a 1-0 victory in its 2008 Ivy opener on Sunday afternoon. The win, Brown's first over Dartmouth in 13 years, lifts the Bears to 3-3-2, 1-0 Ivy, while the Big Green fall to 4-3-0, 0-1 Ivy.

Brown came out of the gates fired up and tested Dartmouth early with three corner kicks and three shots in the opening 11 minutes of play, including a shot from senior Jamie Mize (Washington, DC) just 1:01 into the game. On the second corner kick for Brown, junior Bridget Ballard (Los Angeles, CA) fired a shot from point-blank range that Dartmouth's Laurel Peak was able to save to keep the game scoreless.

Despite chances by both teams in the half, the game remained knotted at zero after 45 minutes with Dartmouth leading in shots, 5-4. However, Brown led in both corner kicks, 4-3, and in shots on goal, 2-0, as none of Dartmouth's five reached junior goalie Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA).

A driving rainstorm began just as the second half commenced, creating slippery conditions for the two teams. Just over a minute in, Brown capitalized for the 1-0 lead. After a breakaway by senior Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI), freshman Marybeth Lesbirel (Holmdel, NJ) fired a shot from the left side and Peak made a diving save. The ball slipped from Peak's grasp and Stone was there to put away the eventual game-winner for the Bears.

Dartmouth controlled play for most of the second half, peppering Brown with 12 shots and eight corner kicks, but Hogue, who recorded four saves, and the rest of the Brown defense clamped down to help lead the Bears to the win. Despite Dartmouth doubling Brown up on shots, the Bears had better quality shots, finishing the game with a 7-4 margin in shots on goal.

For Hogue, it was her third shutout of the season, and the seventh of her career. After playing seven of their first eight games on the road, including the past six straight, the Bears return home this Wednesday, October 1, to host Holy Cross in a 7:00 p.m. contest. The game begins a three-game homestand for Brown, which will play seven of its final nine games at Stevenson Field.