Women's Soccer Snaps Three Game Losing Streak

Women's Soccer Snaps Three Game Losing Streak

Sept. 28, 2001

In the first half of play, the Bears outshot Marist 11-2, but failed to finish on numerous scoring opportunities. Brown made its offensive presence felt early, as just minutes into the match senior Kelly Smith got a cross off from the right side of the field. The ball deflected off a Brown player, but Marist goalkeeper, Mellanie Nai was able to record a save on the shot. While the first half rendered many scoring chances to Brown, the play of Nai was outstanding, as she made many key acrobatic saves for the Red Foxes. First half play ended and both teams went into the break tied at 0-0.

In the second half, the Bears came out showing the same fire they had in the first. Early in the half again, the Bears continued to attack a visibly rattled Marist defense. The entire match was a physical battle, which became apparent when senior Kim Lanzire was taken down from behind in the penalty box nearly midway through the second half. The center official quickly blew his whistle and a penalty kick was awarded to the Bears. Sophomore Julie Herrold (La Crescenta, CA) stepped up, placed the ball on the 12 yard line and drilled it into the lower left corner of the goal, just past the Marist goalkeeper. Time of the goal was 66:14.

The Bears took advantage of Marist's vulnerability and netted the second goal of the match only seconds later, at 66:34. On this score, senior Kim Lanzire collected the ball on a feed from sophomore Kristin Ferrel, and placed it in the far lower corner, kissing the back of the net.

Brown goalkeepers Mary Jo Markle (West Chester, PA) and Sarah Gervais (Harrisville, RI) received few challenges throughout the match, as Marist totaled just four shots during the 90 minute contest. The Bears recorded 25 shots and an impressive 10 corner kicks.

The Bears return to action on Sunday, September 30 to take on Colgate. Game time is set for 1:00pm at Stevenson Field.