Bears Dominate Minnesota in 2-2 Double Overtime Tie

Bears Dominate Minnesota in 2-2 Double Overtime Tie

Sept. 10, 2006

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown women's soccer team (2-1-2) saw its first out-of-region opponent on Sunday afternoon, and gave Minnesota (4-1-1) a hard-fought battle in a 2-2 double overtime tie. The Bears posted a 37-10 advantage in shots and became the first team this season to score more than one goal against the Gophers, who have posted four shutouts, while allowing just one goal in a loss to #21 Missouri.

"I thought we were on our game today and gave a strong battle to a tough Minnesota team," said Brown head coach Phil Pincince. "Though we didn't get the win, I thought we dominated the game, especially the second half and overtime and we did a lot of great things on the field, both individually and collectively."

Playing a tough Big 10 opponent, the Bears dominated the first half of play, keeping Minnesota's Lindsey Dare, who had posted three shutouts this season, busy in net. However, after a Brown free kick just past midfield, the Gophers set up a counter-attack and grabbed a 1-0 lead on their first shot of the game. Elena Fruci sent a through-ball to Lindsey Schwartz along the left wing, and Schwartz fired a shot at the right corner that deflected into the back of the net off the far post in the 15th minute.

But, Brown never allowed the momentum to shift after the goal, outshooting Minnesota, 15-5 during the first 45:00 of action. Finally, just 28 seconds after halftime, the persistence paid off when senior Jill Mansfield (East Windsor, NJ) scored her first goal of the season. Classmate Kathryn Moos (Wayzata, MN) dribbled in after the kick-off and passed to Mansfield along the right wing. Mansfield one-timed the ball into the top left corner of the net to tie the game at 1-1, as Dare allowed her first goal of the season in over 315 minutes.

With the goal, Brown gained momentum and continued to put pressure on both Dare and the rest of the Minnesota defense. Just 6:16 later, the Bears grabbed a 2-1 lead after a great offensive rush by sophomore Lindsay Cunningham (Cumberland, RI) and freshman Melissa Kim (Bethesda, MD). The ball bounced around in the penalty area and Mansfield gained control of the ball along the right wing, beating her defender to get inside the penalty box. Mansfield fed Moos with a centering pass and the Minnesota native one-touched the ball into the near corner for a 2-1 Brown lead.

Nearly 10 minutes later, Minnesota found the back of the net, scoring a goal that was nearly identical to its first tally. Fruci earned her second assist of the game, finding Kelsey Hood on the left wing. Hood's shot to the far corner found the back of the net, as the Gophers were able to force overtime.

Brown had its chances late in the second half and dominated the overtime, outshooting Minnesota 12-1 during the final 20 minutes of the game. However, Dare made the saves she needed to as the Gophers held on for the tie.

Freshman Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA) recorded four saves in net for the Bears, who return to action on Friday night when they travel to Chestnut Hill, MA to face Boston College at 7:00 p.m.