Katz's Goal Leads Women's Soccer Over UMass, 2-0

Katz's Goal Leads Women's Soccer Over UMass, 2-0

Brown Women's Soccer Blanks UMass, 2-0
Sep 18, 2014

Brown Women's Soccer defeated UMass 2-0 on Thursday evening at Stevenson Field behind goals from Erin Katz and Chloe Cross.

Phil Pincince Post-Game: UMass
Sep 18, 2014

Coach Pincince joined us following Brown Women's Soccer's 2-0 victory over the UMass Minutewomen on Thursday evening at Stevenson Field. #GoBruno

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Erin Katz scored in the sixth minute and Mallory Yant made six saves en route to her first career shutout as the Brown women's soccer team blanked UMass, 2-0, at Stevenson Field on Thursday.  The Bears claimed their third consecutive victory over UMass and have closed the gap in the all-time series to 11-7-1 in favor of the Minutewomen.


With the win, Brown improves to 3-2-0 and 2-0-0 on home turf while the Minutewomen suffer their fifth loss of the season to drop to 2-5-2. Yant, the Fenton, Missouri native, turned away three UMass bids on goal in each half to match a single-game career-high of six saves.


The Bears wasted no time jumping out on top as Katz (Montgomery, Ala.) tipped in Allie Reilly's cross (Lawrenceville, N.J.) in the 6th minute to give Brown a 1-0 edge.  Katz almost struck again five minutes later, but UMass keeper Danielle Kriscenski smothered her strike from 18-yards out.  Kriscenski finished the night with eight saves in 76:45 of play before giving way to Cassidy Babin for the remaining 13:15.


Brown carried the play early on before the Minutewomen registered their first shot on goal 15 minutes in on Julia Weithofer's first of two shots on target in the opening 45 minutes. 


Despite only a slim 1-0 lead in the second half, the Bears maintained control of play with bids from Charlotte Beach (New Haven, Conn.) and Kirsten Belinsky (Los Altos, Calif.) as Brown stormed the UMass end of the field.  Belinsky, seeking her first tally of the season, was snakebit on Thursday as two golden chances found the post.


Senior tri-captain Chloe Cross (Seattle, Wash.) gave Brown some insurance as her strike from 45-yards out sailed over Kriscenski, redirected off the crossbar, and found its way to the back of the net to put the home team up 2-0 in the 67th minute.


The Bears never gave the visitors a chance for any hope, holding the Minutewomen to just two shots on target in the final 25 minutes of play.  The teams finished tied with 14 shots apiece, while Brown held a 5-2 edge in corner kicks.


Head Coach Phil Pincince's squad returns to action on Sunday at UConn, who suffered a 3-2 loss on Thursday night to No. 5 Florida State.