Bears Remain Undefeated with 1-1 Double Overtime Tie with Vermont

Bears Remain Undefeated with 1-1 Double Overtime Tie with Vermont

PROVIDENCE, RI – Sophomore Kiersten Berg (Salt Lake City, UT) answered a Vermont goal within 47 seconds early in the second half to help the Brown women's soccer team (3-0-1) earn a 1-1 double overtime tie with the Catamounts (2-3-2) on Saturday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

Despite Brown holding a 10-7 advantage in shots during the first half of play, the Catamounts were controlling the pace of play, winning the 50-50 battles and forcing sophomore Amber Bledsoe (Cincinnati, OH) to make four saves. Brown picked up its intensity during the final 10 minutes of the opening frame and nearly took a 1-0 lead when Berg raced in all alone, only to be denied by Vermont's Sarah Leiby on the breakaway.

The Bears began the second half by earning one of their eight second-half corners just two minutes in, but junior Diana Ohrt's (Simi Valley, CA) header went wide of the net, as the score remained knotted at zero.

However, less than two minutes after the initial chance by Brown, Vermont had a 1-0 lead on a goal by Alexandra Dezenzo. Kerry Glynn dribbled up the middle of the field and sent the ball over to Dezenzo on her right. Dezenzo got in behind the Brown defense and drew sophomore MC Barrett (Ithaca, NY) out of the net for a one-on-one, before firing the ball to the far corner at 49:53.

Brown was quick to respond, though, as Berg scored in a way nearly identical to the Catamounts' goal just 47 seconds later for her second of the season. Senior captain Sarah Hebert-Seropian (Vaudreuil-Dorion, QUE) started the play when she fed Berg on the right, who raced in on a one-on-one. After drawing Leiby out of the net, Berg fired the ball past Leiby to the left corner to tie the score at 1-1.

Following the goal, the Bears dictated the pace of play, but both teams had one outstanding chance to break the tie. With 38 minutes remaining in regulation, Berg just missed on another breakaway, shooting just wide of the net from the right side. Then with less than 15 minutes to play, Vermont's Megan Rozumalski had a wide open goal to shoot at after pulling Barrett out of the net. But, her chance from the right side went wide and high of the far post, as the game inched closer to overtime.

The teams traded a pair of shots in the first 10 minute overtime period, before Brown pressed for the game-winner in the final 10 minutes, outshooting Vermont, 5-0, during this time, and controlling the play. 

Leiby twice grabbed dangerous crosses from the Bears early in the second overtime, one by sophomore Alison Mullin (Lafayette, CO) and another by sophomore Maddie Wiener (Portland, OR) with seven minutes left. She then nabbed a dangerous shot from Berg with 6:37 left to play. The Bears had four more shots over the final four minutes, but three were wide or high and the Catamount defense was able to block the fourth, as the teams settled for the 1-1 tie.

Brown finished with a 29-20 advantage in shots and a 12-3 advantage in corner kicks. Barrett stopped three shots to combine with Bledsoe for seven saves, while Leiby had eight saves for Vermont.  

The Bears continue action on Thursday, September 15, when they travel to New Hampshire to face the Wildcats in a 4:30 p.m. contest.

Pictured: Kiersten Berg '14. Photo by