Bears Fall to Penn, 3-2, in Back-and-Forth Overtime Battle

Bears Fall to Penn, 3-2, in Back-and-Forth Overtime Battle

PHILADELPHIA, PA – The Brown women's soccer team (7-5-4, 1-3-2) battled back from a 1-0 deficit to lead 2-1 against the Quakers (9-6-1, 4-1-1), but a Penn goal with 14 minutes left would force overtime and the Quakers needed just 2:01 into the extra period to come back and earn a 3-2 win over the Bears Saturday at Rhodes Field.

Penn would take a 1-0 lead when, in the 22nd minute, Sarah Friedman played a short ball to Kerry Scalora, who one-timed a cross from the left side. Marin McDermott was waiting at the far post and headed the ball back across the goal and inside the far post for her fourth of the year.

With about 13 minutes left before the end of the half, Scalora got a shot off from the left side that forced freshman Amber Bledsoe (Withamsville, OH) to make a diving save. Two minutes later, Brown would strike for the equalizer on a corner kick. Freshman Maddie Wiener (Portland, OR) played the ball to the far post, where junior Marybeth Lesbirel (Holmdel, NJ) headed it back in front. Sophomore Diana Ohrt (Simi Valley, CA) headed the ball into the goal for her second of the year, as Brown became the first team in five games to score against Penn.

The two teams traded chances to go ahead, 2-1, early in the second half with Lesbirel nearly scoring for Brown, but with goalie Caroline Williams out of the cage, Lesbirel's shot deflected off Williams' leg and cleared out by a Penn defender to hold the score at 1-1. Penn then appeared to have taken a 2-1 lead in the 61st minute, but Scalora was whistled offsides on the play.  

Less than four minutes later, Brown did pull ahead, scoring on another set piece. Senior Charlotte Rizzi (Bethesda, MD) took a free kick from the right side, and classmate Gina Walker (Canyon Country, CA) headed the ball past Williams for her team-leading fifth goal of the season at 64:36.

McDermott netted her second of the game with 13:59 left to play, which would force the overtime period.

However, prior to overtime, both teams looked to settle the score in regulation with several great opportunities, including one by Penn's Ursula Lopez-Palm that forced freshman MC Barrett (Ithaca, NY) to come off her line and make a great save to keep the score at 1-1.

Lopez-Palm finished a feed from McDermott just 2:01 into overtime, ending the game, as Penn now sits in sole possession of first place in the Ivy standings.

Bledsoe made one save in the first half, while Barrett stopped three shots in the final 47:01. Williams recorded two saves for Penn, as Brown held an 11-10 advantage in shots, but the Quakers put seven of theirs on goal, to Brown's four. The Bears also out cornered Penn, 5-0.

Brown closes out its season at home next Saturday, November 6th, when it hosts Yale in a 4:00 p.m. contest.

Pictured: Gina Walker '11. Photo by