Chun Leads Bears to 1-0 Win over Columbia

Chun Leads Bears to 1-0 Win over Columbia

NEW YORK, NY - Junior Joyce Chun (Irvine, CA) scored the game-winning goal with less than 10 minutes left to play and senior Steffi Yellin (Savannah, GA) recorded two saves to lead the Brown women's soccer team (3-5-0, 1-1-0) to a 1-0 victory over Columbia (4-5-1, 1-1-0) on Saturday afternoon in New York. The goal is Chun's second game-winner in the Bears' last three games, as Brown rebounded from last week's loss to Dartmouth with today's victory.

The two teams battled back-and-forth all afternoon, as each team finished with nine shots, with Brown outshooting Columbia, 6-3, in the first, and the Lions reversing the numbers in the second half. The difference came in shots on goal, as Brown was much more accurate, with eight of its nine shots on goal, to the Lions four.

Columbia put the pressure on early, earning two corner kicks in the opening six minutes. However, neither one produced a shot and the Bears looked to get on the scoreboard just after the 10-minute mark, as junior Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY), sophomore Gloria Chun (Irvine, CA) and junior Gina Walker (Canyon Country, CA) all had shots saved in a span of 1:46. Brown ended the first half with a 6-1 advantage in shots on goal, but Columbia's Lillian Klein stopped all six shots she faced and the Lions' only shot was saved by the Bears' defense.

Marissa Schultz nearly gave the Lions a 1-0 lead just 5:18 into the second half, but her shot was saved by the Bears' defense, as Yellin had yet to earn a save. After another save by Klein on a shot by senior Melissa Kim (Bethesda, MD), Yellin recorded her first stop of the game on an attempt by Ashley Mistele, as the game remained scoreless through 56:52.

Columbia would outshoot the Bears, 2-0, over the next 20 minutes, but the two attempts were spaced nearly 17 minutes apart, forcing both goalies to maintain focus in difficult conditions. After Sophie Reiser's shot sailed wide of the net in the 78th minute, Chun capitalized on a defensive miscue to connect for the game's only goal less than three minutes later.

Following Chun's goal, the Lions threatened to tie it, but Yellin made a final save on Lauren Cooke with 4:44 remaining and then a Columbia corner kick seconds later failed to result in the equalizer.

Brown returns to action Wednesday evening when it faces Maine in a 7:00 p.m. game to be played at Marshwood High School in South Berwick, ME.