Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 3-1, in Ivy Opener

Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 3-1, in Ivy Opener

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior Sylvia Stone (Bronx, NY) scored her first goal of the season to give Brown a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute, but Dartmouth (4-4-0, 1-0-0) would score three straight goals to hand the women's soccer team (2-5-0, 0-1-0) a 3-1 loss on a rainy Sunday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

The Big Green came out quickly, dominating the first 20 minutes of play, while outshooting Brown, 8-0, over the opening 18 minutes. Junior Gina Walker (Canyon Country, CA) finally registered the Bears' first shot, a header attempt that went wide left at 20:36, and just 47 seconds later, the Bears had a 1-0 lead on their second shot of the day.

After a failed clearing attempt by the Big Green, the ball came to senior Melissa Kim (Bethesda, MD) on the left wing. Kim sent the ball into the box, where Walker headed it down to Stone at the left side of the box. Stone got around her defender and fired a shot to the far side, beating Colleen Hogan for the 1-0 lead at 21:23.

The lead was short-lived however as Dartmouth tied the game just 3:23 later, when Aly O'Dea connected with a hard shot from the top of the box. After receiving the ball from Becky Poskin in the midfield, O'Dea took a quick dribble and fired a rocket that sailed past a diving Brenna Hogue (Concord, CA), tying the game at 1-1 at 24:46.

The score remained tied through the end of the first 45 minutes, though Dartmouth had two golden opportunities to take a lead before halftime. The first came with about 18 minutes left when Kelsey Quick got in behind the Brown defense, and unleashed a shot that beat Hogue. However, just before she got the shot off, she was whistled for offsides, as the score remained tied at 1-1. Just six minutes later, O'Dea had a one-on-one opportunity with Hogue from inside the six, but Hogue stopped her point-blank attempt, as the two teams remained knotted at one.

Brown came out of the break with renewed energy and was dictating the pace of play for the first 15 minutes of the second half, but could not increase its score. After a few chances early in the half for Brown, the Big Green halted the Bears momentum when Quick got the ball from the Brown defense and beat Hogue with a high shot from about 20 yards out that deflected off the crossbar and into the net.

Quick's goal at 65:26 would prove to be the game-winner, put Peyton Tata provided some insurance for the Big Green with less than 13 minutes left to play, beating Hogue on a one-on-one chance. O'Dea sprung Tata along the right wing and Tata had just Hogue to beat. She pulled Hogue off her line and chipped the ball over her head for the 3-1 lead.

Brown was outshot, 26-8, for the game, as Hogue made nine saves, including seven in the first half. Brown will look to rebound next weekend when it travels to Columbia to face the Lions in a 4:00 p.m. Ivy League contest.