Second-Half Come-Back Lifts Bears to 13-12 Victory over Marist

Second-Half Come-Back Lifts Bears to 13-12 Victory over Marist

March 26, 2008

Box Score

WILTON, CT - Freshman Alexa Caldwell's (Middletown, DE) first of three second-half goals capped a four-goal Brown run to open the second half as the Bears (3-5) erased a 6-3 first-half deficit en route to a 13-12 victory over Marist (2-4) in a neutral site game played at Wilton High School. Caldwell led all Brown scorers with three goals and an assist, all of which came in the decisive second half, while junior Krystina DeLuca (Hillsborough, NJ) added three goals and junior Lauren Vitkus (Skaneateles, NY) pitched in two goals and one assist.

Trailing, 6-3, after the first 30 minutes, the Bears opened the second half with new life, scoring four goals from four different players in the first 6:14 of play to take their first lead of the game, 7-6. The come back started with back-to-back unassisted goals by Vitkus and senior Jadie DeTolla (Stony Brook, NY) 51 seconds apart. DeLuca, who scored two of Brown's three first-half goals, tied the contest 2:23 later with a free position goal, and then Caldwell finished an end-to-end run by freshman Paris Waterman (Newark, DE) 32 seconds later with a behind-the-back shot to give Brown its first lead of the game.

Marist halted Brown's momentum with a goal from Stephanie Garland at 9:44, but junior Callie Lawrence (Denver, CO) answered 1:02 later with her first of the season, assisted by Caldwell, to regain a one-goal lead for the Bears.

Kate Noftsker scored twice in a span of 1:21 to give Marist a 9-8 lead with 12:21 remaining, but Vitkus tied the game with a free position goal 53 seconds later. Another Noftsker goal just 39 seconds after that gave the Red Foxes a 10-9 lead, but sophomore Molly McCarthy (Scituate, MA) answered with her third of the season at 20:02 to tie the game for the fifth time of the half.

Lindsey Diener put the Red Foxes up one minute later, but that would be the last Marist lead as the Bears scored the next three goals. Caldwell tied the game at 11-11 with 6:25 to go and then sophomore Kara Kelly (Garden City, NY) gave Brown the lead for good, 12-11, three minutes later. Caldwell provided some insurance for the Bears with her third of the game with just under two minutes remaining and Diener scored the final goal at 29:08 to account for the final score.

The second half was a stark contrast to the first, which saw Marist storm out to a 3-0 lead in the opening six minutes of play. DeLuca's first of the game got Brown on the scoreboard at 9:12, but the Red Foxes outscored the Bears, 3-2, the rest of the half to take the 6-3 lead into the break.

Brown dominated all other aspects of the game, outshooting Marist, 44-21 and holding a 24-18 advantage in ground balls. The Bears also won 20 of the 27 draw controls, including four for Vitkus and three each for DeTolla and Caldwell.

Senior Melissa King (Pepper Pike, OH) made three saves in net, while Liz Burkhard stopped 10 shots for the Red Foxes, including nine in the first half. The Bears return to Ivy League action this Saturday, March 29, when they host Dartmouth at 3:00 p.m.