Bears Defeat UConn, 14-13, in Come-From-Behind Double Overtime Thriller

Bears Defeat UConn, 14-13, in Come-From-Behind Double Overtime Thriller

March 21, 2009

Box Score

STORRS, CT - After alternating wins and losses for the first five games of the season, the Brown women's lacrosse team (4-2) strung together consecutive wins for the first time with a thrilling come-from-behind 14-13 win over UConn (0-9) in double overtime on Saturday afternoon. Freshman Katelyn Caro (Andover, MA) led all players with a game-high six goals, as five different Bears scored in the win.

After trailing by as much as 11-7 11:36 into the second half, Brown outscored the Huskies, 5-1, during the final 17 minutes of play, as senior Kelly Robinson (Marlton, NJ) tied the score at 12-12 with 17 seconds left on the clock to force overtime. Caro put Brown up, 13-12, with 11 seconds remaining in the opening three-minute half of the first overtime, but the Huskies tied it with 1:26 left in the second three-minute half of the first overtime. UConn actually had a chance to win it with about eight seconds remaining after earning a free position attempt, but the shot missed the cage and the two teams headed for a second, sudden victory, overtime.

The Huskies won the opening draw in the second overtime and were able to get a shot off, but Brown picked up the ball and raced down the field where senior Lauren Vitkus (Skaneateles, NY) connected off a feed from freshman Kaela McGilloway (Sea Cliff, NY), lifting the Bears to the win.

Things started slowly for Brown, which spotted UConn a 1-0 lead just 2:58 into the game. Senior Jesse Nunn (Worton, MD) and Caro scored back-to-back goals just 31 seconds apart to give Brown a 2-1 lead at 4:51, but that was the last lead the Bears would hold until Caro's goal in the first overtime period.

Whitney Michele tied the game at 2-2 7:09 into the game and then Amanda Pollock's goal at 9:04 gave the Huskies a 3-2 advantage. Two more UConn goals in a span of 25 seconds midway through the first half made it 5-2 in favor of the home team.

McGilloway scored an unassisted goal with 14:52 remaining in the half to cut the Bears' deficit to 5-3, but every time a Brown player scored, UConn answered, as the Huskies led by at least two goals for the remainder of the first half and 8-5 at halftime.

The Bears opened the second half with back-to-back goals from Vitkus and Caro to bring Brown to within one, 8-7, 7:44 into the second half, but UConn reeled off three straight to grab its biggest lead of the game, 11-7, with 18:24 remaining.

McGilloway started Brown's come back when she scored an unassisted goal with 17:08 left to play, sparking a three-goal Bears' run. Caro's fifth of the game on a free position attempt made it 11-9 with 12:05 on the clock and then McGilloway fed Robinson 2:15 later, bringing Brown to within 11-10.

The Huskies regained the two-goal advantage with 7:24 remaining, but the Bears scored two straight goals to close out the half, as Vitkus and Robinson both found the net in the final 4:39 of play to force the overtime.

Junior Kiki Manners (North Potomac, MD) led the Bears' defense with three caused turnovers, while Vitkus and freshman Margaret Polanin (Chatham, NJ) paced Brown with three draw controls each. Freshman Isabel Harvey (Baltimore, MD) recorded five saves in net for Brown, which continues action on Tuesday, March 24, when it hosts Oregon in a 1:00 p.m. contest.