Bears Drop Heartbreaker to Hofstra, 7-6

Bears Drop Heartbreaker to Hofstra, 7-6

March 15, 2008

Box Score

HEMPSTEAD, NY - Hofstra (3-3) broke a 6-6 tie, with what would prove to be the game-winning goal, with 12:25 left to play to earn a 7-6 victory over the Brown women's lacrosse team (2-4) on Saturday afternoon on Long Island. Brown was led by junior Lauren Vitkus' (Skaneateles, NY) three goals, all of which came during the first half.

The two teams opened the game in a battle for possession, as they remained deadlocked at 1-1 through the first 19 minutes of the contest. The Bears grabbed a 1-0 lead on Vitkus' first of three goals at 6:50. Despite it taking nearly seven minutes for a team to score, the next goal came just 1:30 later, when Ashley Jones tied the score with 21:31 remaining in the first half.

This is how the score would remain for over 10 minutes, as neither team could hold onto possession and both goalies saved the shots that reached them, with senior Melissa King (Pepper Pike, OH) stopping three Hofstra shots and Maisie Osteen making one save on the Bears.

Sophomore Molly McCarthy (Scituate, MA) briefly gave Brown a 2-1 lead, scoring her second goal of the year with 11:02 remaining, but Hofstra answered right back with a Stephanie Rice goal just 55 seconds later.

A free-position goal by Hofstra's Kelly McGarth with 7:11 left gave the Pride their first lead of the day and then Sandy Wasserbach scored on another free position shot 57 seconds later to increase the Hofstra lead to 4-2, forcing Brown to call a time-out.

Vitkus scored the final two goals of the half, the first with 3:53 remaining and the tying goal with just six seconds left before the break, to send the teams into halftime knotted at four.

Hofstra opened the second half with back-to-back goals in the first 7:34 to take a 6-4 lead. However, sophomore Kara Kelly's (Garden City, NY) seventh of the year brought Brown to within one at 19:23. Junior Krystina DeLuca's (Hillsborough, NJ) first of the year 3:41 later tied the game at 6-6 with 15:42 left to play.

The Pride called a timeout following DeLuca's goal, but Brown won the draw control and was able to fire off two shots, one that went wide and another one 42 seconds later that was blocked. Hofstra had a chance that King saved, but a Bears' turnover on the clear attempt led to Jones' game-winner.

Brown had chances to win it, outshooting Hofstra 4-0 in the final 12:23, but junior Jesse Nunn (Worton, MD) and senior Jadie DeTolla (Stony Brook, NY) hit the post within 59 seconds of each other, at 6:11 and 5:12. The Pride had the ball with less than a minute remaining, but junior Noelle DiGioia (Pittsburgh, PA) forced a turnover with 32 seconds left. Brown was able to clear it and get a last-second shot off, but Kelly's attempt with six seconds remaining was saved by Osteen, as Hofstra held on for the win.

Overall, Brown outshot Hofstra, 22-14, including a 12-4 margin in the second half. The ground balls were nearly equal with Hofstra picking up 18 to Brown's 16. Both goalies made seven saves, including six in the first half for King.

The Bears will look to rebound next Saturday, March 22, when they travel up I95 to face Harvard at 1:00 p.m. in their 2008 Ivy League opener.