Bears Edged by Davidson, 6-5

Bears Edged by Davidson, 6-5

March 2, 2008

Box Score

DAVIDSON, NC - Trailing, 5-3, with 25 minutes remaining in the game, Davidson (2-2) scored three straight goals to close the contest, breaking a 5-5 tie with 4:03 left to play to earn a 6-5 victory over the Brown women's lacrosse team (1-2) on Sunday afternoon at Richardson Stadium. The Bears were led once again by junior Jesse Nunn (Worton, MD), who scored a pair of goals, while sophomore Meghan Markowski (Northport, NY) had two assists.

In a game that went back and forth, and saw four ties throughout it, Davidson prevailed with three unanswered goals in the final 24 minutes to earn the come-from-behind win.

Haley Cook scored the winning goal with 4:03 left in the game when she broke inside the circle, then received a nice pass from Becky Horton, who had drawn two defenders on her attempt to get a shot off, and fired the ball into the right corner of the goal for a 6-5 victory.

The Wildcats then held off a late Brown attack that included the Bears holding onto the ball for the last 3:30 and getting off a shot by sophomore Molly McCarthy (Scituate, MA) with 2:18 left that was saved by Laura Johnson. Davidson then forced a turnover and the Wildcats were able to clear it with just 41 seconds left to hold on for the win.

Trailing 5-3 after senior Jadie DeTolla (Stony Brook, NY) found the back of the net for Brown with 25:33 left in the game, the Wildcats comeback started with Horton's goal at the 24:11 mark.

Then at the 8:18 mark, Emily Diefendorf tied the game, setting up Cook's game-winner.

Both teams played to an even 3-3 tie in the first half as Horton scored twice, her second score at the time gave Davidson a 3-2 lead, before Nunn tied things up with a goal at the 11:45 mark.

Senior Melissa King (Pepper Pike, OH) recorded six saves, while Johnson picked up nine saves for Davidson. Sophomore Kiki Manners (North Potomac, MD) led all players with four ground balls, while DeTolla led Brown with two caused turnovers.