Women’s Lacrosse Falls to Yale, 10-8, in Season Finale

Women’s Lacrosse Falls to Yale, 10-8, in Season Finale

PROVIDENCE, RI – Yale (8-7, 2-5) broke open a 3-3 game by scoring the final three goals of the first half and then survived the Bears' comeback attempt to hold on for a 10-8 win over the Brown women's lacrosse team (9-6, 2-5) on Saturday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

Trailing, 6-3, at the break, the Bears scored three of the first four goals of the second half to come to within 7-6 with 18:51 remaining on a goal by sophomore Janie Gion (Northfield, IL). The Bulldogs immediately answered the score to push their lead back to two goals and Brown could get no closer than 8-7 on a goal by junior Grace Healy (Bellport, NY) with 3:21 left to play.

The Bears grabbed a 1-0 lead just 4:38 into the game when senior Tara Rooke (Wilbraham, MA) came around the right side of the crease and beat Yale's Erin McMullin with a low shot to the near side.

However, Yale answered with back-to-back goals off free position shots in a span of less than two minutes to take a 2-1 lead at 8:10.

Sophomore Abby Bunting (Wellesley, MA) connected on a free position shot of her own just prior to the midway point of the half to tie the score at 2-2, but Yale answered the score again to gain a 3-2 lead.

On yet another free position attempt with less than 10 minutes to play before the break, junior Bre Hudgins (Syracuse, NY) passed to junior Danielle Mastro (Endicott, NY), who finished from the right side to tie the game at 3-3 with 8:29 left.

Yale would score three times in the final 5:10 of the half to open up its largest lead of the afternoon. 

While the Bulldogs held the advantage in both shots (15-6) and draw controls (8-2) in the opening 30 minutes, the Bears reversed the trend in the second half, outshooting Yale, 20-8, and winning eight of 10 draw controls. Hudgins started Brown's comeback attempt 4:08 after the break when she scored her first of the day with Yale enjoying a player advantage after a card against the Bears.

The Bulldogs answered just 40 seconds later, with Brown still a player short, but back-to-back scores by Hudgins and Gion, assisted by Mastro, closed the gap with 7-6.

Christina Doherty answered Gion's goal to give Yale an 8-6 lead with 16:58 to play, which would be the final goal for either team during the next 13-plus minutes.

Brown possessed the ball for long stretches of this time and continued to find open cutters inside the eight, but McMullin came up big in the Bulldogs' goal, making five of her seven saves during the game's final 15 minutes.

The Bears finally ended the scoring drought with 3:21 remaining on Healy's 13th goal of the year. The Bulldogs won the ensuing draw control and with sophomore Kellie Roddy (Poway, CA) out of the net to help pressure the ball, Erin Magnuson scored into an open net with 1:39 left to play. Kerri Fleishhacker added another empty net goal just 56 seconds later to push Yale's lead to 10-7 with 43 seconds remaining. 

Hudgins capped the hat trick with an unassisted goal eight seconds later to account for the 10-8 final.

In all, Brown held a 26-23 advantage in shots, a 16-12 advantage in ground balls, and a 7-4 advantage in caused turnovers. Both teams won 10 draw controls.

Healy paced Brown with five draw controls, while Hudgins won four. Junior Erin Roos (Wilmette, IL) led the Bears with three ground balls, while senior Kasey Wagner (Southborough, MA) and sophomore Alyssa DiBona (Media, PA) both had two caused turnovers to lead Brown. Roddy finished with six saves. 

Prior to the start of the game, Brown recognized its four seniors - Sidney Jacobs (Blue Bell, PA), Lindsay Minges (Rochester, NY), Rooke and Wagner.