Women’s Lacrosse Drops 10-7 Heartbreaker to Penn, in Overtime

Women’s Lacrosse Drops 10-7 Heartbreaker to Penn, in Overtime

PROVIDENCE, RI – With Brown clinging to a 7-6 lead and with just over a minute remaining in regulation, the Quakers' goalie, Lucy Ferguson, intercepted a Bears' pass to give Penn the ball with 1:07 left in the second half. Brown worked relentlessly to slow Penn's clear, but Shannon Mangini, who finished with three goals, tied the game at 7-7 with 30 seconds left on the clock, forcing overtime.

The Quakers had a chance to win it in regulation, but Mangini's attempt from point-blank range with three seconds left was saved by sophomore Kellie Roddy (Poway, CA) to send the game into overtime.

Penn, which clawed back from a 4-1 first-half deficit to tie the game at 6-6 and then again at 7-7, scored two goals during the first three minutes of overtime and then added a third goal during the second three-minute frame of the first overtime to put the game away.

The contest began with a Penn goal from Maddie Poplawski just 33 seconds after the opening draw, as the Quakers raced out to the early 1-0 lead. However, senior Tara Rooke (Wilbraham, MA) won the ensuing draw control for Brown and tied the score at 1-1 just 12 seconds later.

Brown then set up deliberately on the attack, possessing the ball for long stretches of time, patiently waiting for scoring opportunities. Goals by junior Bre Hudgins (Syracuse, NY) and back-to-back strikes from sophomore Abby Bunting (Wellesley, MA), gave the Bears a 4-1 lead with 10:06 left in the first half.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the field, Brown's defense played with composure and poise, keeping Penn off the scoreboard for over 27 minutes until Meredith Cain connected on a free position attempt with 2:19 left in the half, as Brown led, 4-2, at the break.

Hudgins increased the Bears' lead to 5-2 just 4:01 into the second half, but Penn's Tory Bensen scored her first of three goals just 49 seconds later to bring her team to within 5-3. Bunting then put away a feed from junior Grace Healy (Bellport, NY) three minutes later, giving Brown a 6-3 lead with 22:20 left in regulation.

Bensen's second of the afternoon just two minutes after Bunting's goal, ignited a three-goal run for the Quakers, during which Mangini brought Penn to within 6-5 with 12:37 left and then Benson tied the game at 6-6 with 8:58 remaining. 

Bensen's tying goal came during a critical momentum swing in the game that started with just under 12 minutes to play. With Brown leading, 6-5, Hudgins found senior Kasey Wagner (Southborough, MA) in the middle of the eight and Wagner turned and beat Ferguson to the upper left corner. Her goal, which would have given the Bears a 7-5 lead, was called back after it was ruled that her follow through had made contact with a Penn defender. The Bears were able to survive the ensuing two minutes with a man-down, but Bensen's goal came less than a minute after Brown returned to full strength. 

The Quakers nearly went ahead, 7-6, but Roddy came up with a big save on a Bensen free position attempt to hold the score at 6-6 with under eight minutes to play. Brown then raced the other way and Healy scored a beautiful goal in transition, from Wagner, with 7:15 left to give the Bears a 7-6 lead.

Brown held that lead until Mangini's tying goal with 30 seconds left in regulation, and the ultimate game-winner by Cain just 24 seconds into overtime. 

Wagner led Brown with three caused turnovers, while Hudgins led the Bears with four draw controls. Senior Sidney Jacobs (Blue Bell, PA) and freshman Richael Walsh (Westwood, MA) both had two ground balls to lead Brown.

Overall, the Penn edged Brown in draws, 11-10, and in ground balls, 12-11. The Bears had the advantage in caused turnovers, 7-6.

Roddy finished with seven saves, while Ferguson recorded four for the Quakers. 

Brown continues action next Saturday, April 27, when it hosts Yale in a 1:00 p.m. contest. 

Pictured: Bre Hudgins '14. Photo by DSPics.net.