Cornell Goal in Final Seconds Lifts Big Red to 10-9 Win over Bears

Cornell Goal in Final Seconds Lifts Big Red to 10-9 Win over Bears

PROVIDENCE, RI – Trailing, 9-6, with 8:17 remaining in the game, sophomore Kaela McGilloway (Sea Cliff, NY) scored three straight goals for Brown in a span of 6:02 to tie the game at 9-9 with 1:13 remaining in the contest. However, Cornell's Kate Dewey would connect on a free position shot from the left of the center hash with just 1.5 seconds remaining to lift the Big Red (4-7, 3-3) to a 10-9 win over the Brown women's lacrosse team (7-5, 2-4) on a raw Friday afternoon at Stevenson Field.

Dewey's game-winner was not without controversy. With Dewey racing towards the Brown net in the final seconds, the senior attacker was awarded the deciding free position attempt on what looked like an apparent charge, as both Brown defender Macie Winship (Shrewsbury, MA) and goalie Isabel Harvey (Baltimore, MD) were knocked to the ground during her drive.

The Bears started strong with junior Paris Waterman (Newark, DE) connecting on a pair of free position shots in the opening 7:37 to give Brown an early, 2-0 lead. However, Libby Johnson would score on a free position attempt of her own at the 8:24 mark to cut the lead to 2-1, but an unassisted goal by sophomore Katelyn Caro (Andover, MA) just 1:33 later gave Brown a 3-1 lead about 10 minutes into the game.

After over 10 minutes of scoreless action, Cornell crept back into the game, and eventually took a 4-3 lead, scoring the final three goals of the half in a span of 4:06. Jessie Steinberg scored her first of four goals with 9:44 remaining, while Johnson and Shannon McHugh added free position scores about two minutes apart, as Brown trailed by one at the break.

A quick unassisted goal by freshman Lindsay Minges (Rochester, NY) a minute into the second half tied the game at 4-4, but a goal by McHugh and two more by Steinberg in a span of 2:16 gave Cornell a 7-4 lead just 5:24 after the break.

Minges temporarily halted the Big Red's momentum with a free position goal for Brown with 19:27 remaining, but Steinberg's fourth of the game eight minutes later regained a three-goal lead for Cornell.

Brown again cut the deficit to two goals with McGilloway's first of the day with just over 10 minutes to play, but Dewey answered for Cornell less than two minutes later, as Cornell held a 9-6 lead with 8:17 remaining.

McGilloway then took over for Brown, scoring a pair of unassisted goals with 7:15 and 6:12 remaining to make it a one-goal game, forcing Cornell to call a timeout.

Cornell would win the ensuing draw control, but a caused turnover by Winship with 4:36 left to play would eventually set up McGilloway's tying goal, scored on a free position attempt with 1:13 to play.

Waterman led the Bears with six ground balls and four draw controls, while junior Alexa Caldwell (Middletown, DE) added three draw controls. Harvey recorded eight saves in net, six of which came in the second half, while Kyla Dambach made six saves for the Big Red.

Brown returns to action on Sunday, April 18th, when it hosts Boston College in a 1:00 p.m. contest at Stevenson Field. The game is the final home contest of the year for the Bears, which also marks the final home game for the four members of the Class of 2010; Bethany Buzzell (Middletown, MD), Kara Kelly (Garden City, NY), Kiki Manners (North Potomac, MD), and Molly McCarthy (Scituate, MA).

Pictured: Lindsay Minges '13. Photo by