Women's Hockey Drops 4-1 Decision to Mercyhurst

Women's Hockey Drops 4-1 Decision to Mercyhurst

Dec. 7, 2002

Providence, RI - The Brown women's hockey team dropped a 4-1 decision to Mercyhurst Saturday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium. The Lakers took the lead midway through the second and kept it for good as the Bears failed to get on the board after their lone goal which came early in the second. Brown drops to 4-5-3 overall while Mercyhurst improves to 11-5-1.

The first period went scoreless as both defenses battled it out. The Bears took nine shots while they allowed the Lakers just five. The Bears quickly ended the scoring drought in the second period, scoring 1:29 in. Sophomore Kerry Nugent passed up the ice to senior Courtney Johnson who crossed the puck over to sophomore Jessica Link. Link knocked in her eighth goal of the season from the inside to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. Brown seemingly took a 2-0 lead soon after but the goal was called back, leaving the score at 1-0.

Mercyhurst answered five minutes later with a goal of its own. Senior Jennifer Jeffrey fired a shot near the blue line which found a small opening in the corner of the net to tie the game 1-1. Freshman Aimee Collins and junior Jessica Dillabough recorded assists on the play. The Lakers took the lead six minutes later on a similar play. Jeffrey took a shot in front of the blue line and once again found an opening. Dillabough picked up her second assist of the game as well. Junior Katie Lafleur nearly tied the game with 30 seconds left in the period when her shot hit the pipe, sending the Bears into the locker room down by one.

The Lakers build on their one goal lead early in the third, taking a 3-1 lead at the 4:04 mark. Freshman Samantha Shirley found the back of the net on a 5x3 power play. Jeffrey notched her third point of the game with the helper. Senior Randi Pilger also earned an assist on the play. Mercyhurst added one more goal late in the period, skating to the 4-1 victory. Senior CJ Ireland scored from junior Lyndsay Barch and Jeffrey. Jeffrey finished the game with a game-high four points.

In goal, senior Pam Dreyer posted 26 saves for the Bears while senior Tiffany Ribble made 28 stops for the Lakers.

The Bears will take a three week semester break before returning to action on January 3 against Wayne State at Meehan Auditorium.