Bears Fall to Mercyhurst 5-1

Bears Fall to Mercyhurst 5-1

Nov. 22, 2008

Final Stats

Providence, R.I. - The Bears dropped their second game of the weekend on Saturday afternoon, falling 5-1 to #10 Mercyhurst. Though Brown was able to keep the game close early on, the offense of the Lakers proved to be too much, as they put the game away with four goals over the first two periods.

The scoring started early for both teams, as Mercyhurst knocked in its first goal less than three minutes into the game. After an initial shot drew Brown goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) out of position, freshman Kelley Steadman was able to follow the miss with the first goal of the afternoon, giving the Lakers the early lead.

Brown quickly rallied back, however, evening the score just two minutes later as senior Frances Male (Toronto, Ont.) picked up her first goal of the season by sprawling out and pushing the puck into net. Sophomore Maggie Suprey (South Boston, MA) and freshman Vika Mykolenko (Kharkiv, Ukraine) were credited with assists on the play. The Lakers had the final score of the period, however, as sophomore Vicki Bendus knocked in a shorthanded goal just before the halfway point.

The Lakers didn't let up in the second period, as several penalties by Brown gave them a number of scoring opportunities. Mercyhurst scored its first power play goal just over two minutes into the period, and added another extra man score at the midway point, extending the lead to 4-1 heading into the second intermission.

Entering the final period holding a three-goal lead, Mercyhurst was content to play conservatively for the most part, focusing on holding off rally attempts from the Bears. Despite several potential scoring chances, Brown couldn't quite find the offense to climb back into the game, however, and Steadman added another score in the final minutes to give the Lakers a 5-1 final margin.

With the loss, Brown falls to 2-7-1 overall, while Mercyhurst improves to 8-4 on the season. The Bears will be back in action on Tuesday, November 25, when they travel to Storrs to take on the University of Connecticut.