Cornell Escapes With Last Second Win

Cornell Escapes With Last Second Win

Nov. 14, 2008

Box Score

Ithaca, N.Y. - Despite playing one of their best games of the season, the Bears were beaten on Friday night by a last-second shot, falling to Cornell 3-2 in overtime. Though Bruno appeared to have a tie locked up, the Big Red was able to score the game-winner as time expired, narrowly escaping with a win at home. Junior assistant captain Andrea Hunter (Fulton, N.Y.) doubled her season point total by scoring both goals for Brown, while senior goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) notched 29 saves in the loss.

Although Brown outshot the Big Red and converted two power play opportunities, Cornell was able to find ways to stay in the game just long enough to get the last word. With the loss, Brown moves to 1-5-1 on the season, and 1-4-0 in ECAC Hockey play, while Cornell improves to 3-2-1 on the season, and 1-1-1 in the league.

The first period was a quiet one for both squads, as neither was able to find the back of the net in the first 20 minutes. Both Stock and Cornell's Kayla Strong were solid in the opening frame, as each stopped everything that was thrown at them, and recorded eight and 11 saves respectively. The best chance for the Bears came only three minutes into the period, when sophomore Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, IL) stole the puck from a Big Red defenseman and quickly fired towards goal. However, Strong was able to make a nice stop to deny Dancewicz and maintain the shutout.

The scoreless game ended quickly in the second period, however, as Hunter knocked one in to give the Bears a 1-0 advantage just over two minutes into the period. Classmate Jenny Cedorchuk (Medfield, MA) was credited with an assist after feeding Hunter in front of the goal for the score on a power play opportunity. Minutes later, Brown narrowly missed a chance to increase their lead when junior Kath Surbey (Calgary, AB) intercepted a pass in front of the Cornell goal and sent a shot just wide of net.

Refusing to go quietly, however, the Big Red came back second later with a shot directly in goal, which Stock was just able to deflect over the goal with a great save. Just before the midway period Cornell was finally able to push one in, as sophomore Rebecca Johnston scored after a brief scramble in front of the net to tie the game at one apiece, where it would stay as the teams went into the locker rooms for the second intermission.

Johnston struck again early in the final period, skating across the middle of the ice and then firing one into the net from the left post for a 2-1 lead just over a minute after the teams took the ice. Though it appeared for several minutes that the Big Red would be able to play conservatively and hold onto their lead, back-to-back penalties gave Brown a 5 on 3 opportunity. After several shots that were saved by Strong, Hunter found the net again, knocking in the puck off a rebound, and putting the Bears right back in the game. Freshman Paige Pyett (Regina, SK) received the assist.

Though both teams fought hard, they continued to be very evenly matched, and both goalies clamped down for the remainder of the period, sending the contest into overtime, and adding even greater drama to the game. The stalemate continued in the extra period, as defense reigned for much of overtime, and good shots were hard to come by. However, as the final seconds ticked off the clock, junior Karlee Overguard got her own rebound, and fired in a shot from the left circle, pushing it just past Stock's outstretched hand for the game-winning goal. With no time left, the Bears were unable to get off even a desperation shot, and Cornell took home the win at the last possible second over a Brown team that fought hard throughout.

The Bears will be back in action on Saturday afternoon, when they continue their road trip in Hamilton, New York against the Colgate Raiders at 4 p.m.