Bears Nearly Topple #8 UConn, But Fall in OT, 2-1

Bears Nearly Topple #8 UConn, But Fall in OT, 2-1

Nov. 4, 2007

Box Score

Storrs, CT - Throughout the second and third periods, the Brown women's ice hockey team (1-3-0) dominated play, but it was #8 Connecticut (9-1-0) that scored in overtime, handing the Bears a 2-1 loss at Freitas Ice Forum on Sunday afternoon. Freshman defenseman Samantha Stortini (Sudbury, ON) scored her first collegiate goal to give Brown the lead, but the Huskies tied the game almost immediately, eventually netting the game-winner with less than a minute left in the extra frame despite a lights-out performance by Brown goaltender Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL), who made a season-high 38 saves.

Stock was sharp early, stopping 13 shots in the first 14 minutes of play as the Huskies kept the puck in the Brown zone. The Brown defense also did a good job of clearing away any rebounds left in front of the net. The Bears finally began attacking at around the 15-minute mark, spurred by freshmen Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, IL) and Maggie Suprey (South Boston, MA). The line of junior Frances Male (Toronto, ON), sophomore Kath Surbey (Calgary, ALB), and sophomore Elizabeth Denis (Durham, NH) continued the attack before the Bears' penalty killing unit prevented the Huskies from getting a shot on net on a power play before the end of the period.

The play was even to start the second period, as the teams traded scoring opportunities. Stock stopped several more strong UConn bids, including a breakaway by freshman Jessica Lutz four minutes into the period and two flurries of shots around the 8:30 mark.

The Bears got on the board at 10:42, as Stortini corralled a pass from behind the net from sophomore forward Sasha Van Muyen (Orillia, ON), sending a low shot through UConn goalie Jennie Bellonio's five-hole to put her team on the board. However, the Huskies were able to tie the game just 1:24 later, as a rebound kicked out to senior Britney Chandler, who snuck a low shot past a sprawling Stock.

Brown applied intense pressure after the first Connecticut penalty of the game was called at 12:53 of the second. While that power play was unsuccessful, the Bears rode that momentum for the rest of the period, applying strong forechecking pressure and smothering UConn's attackers when the puck got into Brown's end of the ice. The Bears continued to control play through the third period, peppering the net during a power play midway through the period and killing off a UConn advantage a few minutes later.

A Connecticut penalty with 1:05 remaining in the third gave Brown a great chance to score the game winner, but Bellonio was able to stop several strong bids by senior Hayley Moore (Wakefield, MA), who hit the post once, sophomore Andrea Hunter (Fulton, NY), and freshman Erica Kromm (Naramata, BC). The Huskies then rallied, getting the game-winner with 59 seconds remaining in overtime, as Amy Hollstein knocked the puck by Stock off assists from Dominique Thibault and Jaclyn Hawkins.

Next weekend, the Bears will hit the road for games against ECAC Hockey foes Colgate and Cornell.

Brown 0 1 0 0 - 1
#8 Connecticut 0 1 0 1 - 2

First period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 0-0.

Second period - B - Samantha Stortini (Sasha Van Muyen), 9:18; C - Britney Chandler (Justine Cigna, Brittany Murphy), 10:42. Penalties - B, 2-4; C, 1-2.

Third period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 1-2; C ,2-4.

Overtime - C - Amy Hollstein (Dominique Thibault, Jaclyn Hawkins), 4:02. Penalties - B, 0-0; C, 0-0.

Saves - B, Nicole Stock 13-13-9-3 - 38 (64:02); C, Brittany Wilson 0-0-0 - 0 (0:33); Jennie Bellonio 3-7-5-0 - 15 (63:14).