Bears Fall Just Short in 1-0 Loss to #8 Dartmouth

Bears Fall Just Short in 1-0 Loss to #8 Dartmouth

Feb. 6, 2009

Box Score

Hanover, N.H. - Senior goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) put on a virtuoso performance on Friday night, but it wasn't enough to prevent a 1-0 loss to the #8 Dartmouth Big Green. On the heels of being named the ECAC Hockey Goaltender of the Week, Stock made 47 saves while allowing just the single goal, but the offense struggled throughout, as they were outshot 48-18 in the game.

The game continued the Bears' strong play of late, as they followed up a one-goal loss to then-#7 St. Lawrence with a sweep of Quinnipiac and Princeton last weekend. With the loss, Brown falls to 5-17-1 overall this season, and 4-12-0 in league play, while Dartmouth improves to 15-6-2 overall and 12-3-2 in ECAC Hockey.

The first period set the tone for much of what was to follow, as both team's proved unforgiving to the opposing offense. Only 17 total shots were taken in the opener, with Dartmouth holding a slight 9-8 lead, and none of them found the back of net. Stock was particularly impressive, recording several saves that had the Dartmouth crowd groaning in disbelief. The Bears had their best chance of the frame with just over two minutes remaining, when junior Andrea Hunter (Fulton, N.Y.) had a quick look on goal, but her shot flew just over the crossbar, and the game stayed scoreless heading into the intermission.

Little changed in the second period, as both goalies were again at the top of their games and frustrating the offenses. Coming out of the locker rooms, the Bears enjoyed a quick flurry to open the period, recording several shots on goal, including an attempt by rookie Katelyn Landry (Belmont, MA) that nicked the pipe and went wide. After the first few minutes, however, Dartmouth forced the action into Brown's end of the ice, controlling the puck for most of the period and outshooting Bruno 19-4. Stock continued to stand tall though, stopping everything that came her way, and the Brown defenders were able to keep rebounds away the Big Green, limiting second shot opportunities.

Both teams had their chances early in the final period, but the offenses continued struggling to find their rhythms. Dartmouth had its best chance five minutes into the frame, when a Brown player fell down in front of net, giving the Big Green an uncontested shot on goal from only a few feet out. However, Stock made another clutch save to preserve the tie and keep the upset intact.

Though the Bears were able to successfully kill off a penalty midway through the period, a hooking call on Brown gave the Big Green the opening they had been waiting for, and senior Sarah Newnam finally broke through, putting the first goal of the game on the board with 5:40 remaining in the game. Bruno had several chances to tie the contest, most notably on a scrum in front of net after pulling Stock for the extra man, but were unable to finish the play, and ended the night with a tough 1-0 loss. The shutout was the seventh of the season for Brown.

The Bears will be back in action tomorrow night, when they travel to Cambridge to take on the Harvard Crimson at 7 p.m.