Women's Hockey Battles Back From 3-0 Deficit At Connecticut But Falls Short, 3-2

Women's Hockey Battles Back From 3-0 Deficit At Connecticut But Falls Short, 3-2

Feb. 1, 2003

Storrs, CT - The Brown women's hockey team dropped a 3-2 decision to Connecticut Saturday afternoon. The Bears fought their way back from a 3-0 deficit but fell short. The Huskies grabbed a 3-0 lead midway through the second but Brown scored two quick goals before the end of the second period to cut the lead to one. Brown was unable to get on the board in the final period, as the Huskies handed the Bears their eighth loss of the season.

The Huskies quickly took a 1-0 lead two minutes into the game when the puck slipped past junior goaltender Katie Germain. Junior Sara Mahoney recorded her tenth goal of the season on the play, unassisted. Despite out-shooting the Huskies 10-6, the Bears failed to get on the board in the first with Connecticut's Shannon Murphy playing solid in net, sending them into the locker room down by one.

Connecticut built up their lead to 3-0 by the halfway point of the second. Kim Berry gave the Huskies a 2-0 lead six minutes into the period. Megan McLeod and Mahoney recorded assists on the play. Three minutes later at 9:06, Connecticut grabbed a 3-0 lead when Jill Vandam scored on the power play. Mahoney picked up her third point of the game with the assist. Angie Wallace also earned an assist.

After senior goalkeeper Pam Dreyer entered the game at the 9:06 mark, the Bears scored their first goal of the game. At the 12:02 mark, sophomore Jessica Link netted her 14th goal of the season with sophomore Amy McLaughlin earning the assist, her 11th of the season. Link has now tallied a point in seven straight games.

The Bears cut the lead to one just 2:40 later when freshman Keaton Zucker tallied her seventh goal of the year in front of the net with Link and senior Courtney Johnson earning assists. Zucker has now scored a goal in three straight games for the Bears.

Brown out-shot Connecticut 13-2 in the final period but could not get the tying goal in the net, ending the game 3-2 in the Huskies favor.

Brown continues action on Friday Feb. 7 at home verses Vermont at 7:00 p.m.