Stock, Dancewicz Lead Way in 2-1 Overtime Win

Stock, Dancewicz Lead Way in 2-1 Overtime Win

Jan. 31, 2009

Box Score

Princeton, N.J. - Senior captain Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) and sophomore Jenna Dancewicz (Buffalo Grove, IL) led the Bears to an exciting overtime upset of the Princeton Tigers on Saturday afternoon, knocking off the third-ranked team in ECAC Hockey. Stock had 41 saves while allowing only a single goal to hold off the Princeton offense, while Dancewicz scored both goals for Brown, wrapping up a four-point weekend for the precocious forward.

The win was the second in a row for Brown, giving them four league points from the weekend, and moving them up a place in the rankings, one step closer to the playoffs. With the victory, the Bears improve to 5-16-1 overall and 4-11 in the league, while the Tigers fall to 13-9-1 overall and 10-6-0 in league play.

Unlike Friday night's game against Quinnipiac, which began with quick offense, both teams were stifled early on Saturday. Though the Tigers won the battle in shot production, beating the Bears 14-2 in the first period, Stock was at the top of her game and kept Princeton off the board. However, Brown was similarly unable to find the back of the net in the opening frame, and the teams went into the locker rooms tied at zero after twenty minutes of play.

Though the second period continued the defensive trend early on, sophomore Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, IL) finally broke the stalemate with her third point of the weekend, scoring a five-on-three goal to give Brown the lead. Fellow sophomores Erica Kromm (Naramata, B.C.) and Samantha Stortini (Sudbury, ON) were credited with assists on the play. Princeton continued to have chances, finishing the period with a 30-7 advantage in shots on goal, but the Tigers couldn't beat solid play in net from Stock, who kept the lead with Bruno.

The final period looked like another defensive struggle, as neither team was able to get many good looks, as only six total shots were taken in the first nine minutes. However, Princeton was finally able to get on the board just before the halfway point, as Katherine Dineen picked up a rebound from Stock and fired it in from the right side of the goal, tying the game with ten minutes to play. The goal snapped a scoreless streak of 119:56 for Stock, dating back to last weekend.

Though Brown had a chance near the end of the period, as a cross checking call on the Tigers with 3:36 left gave Bruno a man advantage, Princeton's penalty kill stepped up the intensity to maintain the tie, and the game headed to sudden death overtime.

In the overtime period, Stock was again under a heavy barrage, including a near goal that brought a brief cheer before Stock was able to make the save. Though the Bears were unable to get the same pressure on Princeton, they made their opportunity count, as Dancewicz knocked in her second goal of the game to give Brown the win with less than a minute to go. Junior Nicole Brown also picked up her fourth point of the weekend with an assist. This was the third overtime game of the season for the Bears, as they tied St. Cloud State 2-2 in the second game of the season, and dropped a 3-2 decision to Cornell on a last-second score by the Big Red.

The Bears will be back in action on Friday, February 6, when they travel to take on the Dartmouth Big Green at 7 p.m.