Women’s Hockey Outlasted by Harvard, 3-1, on Senior Day

Women’s Hockey Outlasted by Harvard, 3-1, on Senior Day

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Sophomore Monica Masucci (Toronto, Ontario) flipped in a third-period goal to put the Bears on the board but No. 5 Harvard held to its early lead as the Brown women's hockey team dropped a 3-1 decision to the Crimson in ECAC Hockey and Ivy League action at Meehan Auditorium on Saturday.

The regular season finale was the final collegiate game for six Brown seniors: co-captains Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) and Jennifer Nedow (Brockville, Ontario) along with Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario), Kelly Kittredge (Mahwah, N.J.), Vanessa Welten (Crysler, Ontario) and Samantha Woodward (Lexington, Mass.).

Harvard finishes the regular season with a 21-4-4 overall record and 16-3-3 mark in ECAC play. Clarkson's 2-1 overtime win over Union secures the second seed for the Crimson in the ECAC tournament. The Bears complete the season with a 4-20-5 overall record and 3-15-3 finish in the ECAC.

For the Bears, Masucci ended the scoreless streak on assists from junior Brittany Moorehead (Clinton, N.Y.) and Kittredge. Moore made 26 saves to finish with 2,224 stops for her career.

For Harvard, Elizabeth Parker scored twice, while Miye D'Oench added a goal and five different skaters registered an assist. Freshman goaltender Brianna Laing made 30 saves to improve to 5-0-0 on the year.

Harvard's leading scorer, D'Oench got the Crimson on the board early when she converted a pass from Hillary Crowe after multiple exchanges on a blue-to-blue two-man rush. D'Oench's 17th goal of the year put Harvard ahead 1-0 at 1:50, a lead which the visitors would hold despite serving five penalties.

Brown outshot the Crimson 13-7 in the first and rattled off a slew of shots while on the power play, but Harvard did what it does better than any team in the nation and killed off 10 minutes worth of penalties without incident. Junior Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) had the Bears' best look of the period when she veered down the left wing and put a backhanded shot on net, but the whistle blew for a Brown player in the crease before Yang could seize the rebound.

A Woodward slapshot from straight away aimed to tie the game just 37 seconds into the second period, but Laing made the save to set up the Crimson for two goals in a span of 1:34. Parker's first came at 9:52 when she knocked in her own rebound, followed by another marker after a slicing move from the left side at 10:18.

Hoyle nearly got Brown in the scoring column with an off-balance shot at 12:50, but the puck teetered on the red line as Laing knocked it away. The officials reviewed the goal and emerged with the decision to uphold the call, leaving the Bears trailing 3-0 through 40 minutes of play. 

Woodward foiled a 2-on-1 breakaway early in the third, setting up a Brown opportunity that culminated in Masucci's second goal of the season. Moorehead fired the first shot from just inside the left face off circle and Masucci pounced on the rebound for the quick wrist shot at 7:27.

The Bears poured on the pressure late in the game, ultimately outshooting the Crimson 31-29. Masucci ripped two shots in a late possession, one a top-shelf attempt that sailed high and the other flying wide after a Kittredge rebound.