Women’s Hockey Ties Maine in Non-League Rematch, 3-3

Women’s Hockey Ties Maine in Non-League Rematch, 3-3

ORONO, Maine – The Bears tied their season high with three goals from three different players, but Maine (1-12-5) used a pair of third-period goals to battle the Brown women's hockey team (1-9-3) to a 3-3 tie in non-league action at Alfond Arena on Saturday.

Senior co-captain Jennifer Nedow (Brockville, Ontario) scored a power play goal in the second period to stamp an exclamation point on her 100th career game for the Bears, while freshman Catherine LeBoeuf (Diepe, New Brunswick) potted her first career goal to give Brown a 3-0 lead midway through the second stanza.

Junior Janice Yang (Westport, Conn.) scored the game's first goal and junior Kaitlyn Keon (Toronto, Ontario) picked up a pair of assists. Seniors Kelly Kittredge (Mahwah, N.J.) and Vanessa Welten (Crysler, Ontario) also tallied assists on Nedow's marker.

In net, sophomore Micaela Ross (McKinney, Texas) and freshman Monica Elvin (Oakland, Calif.) each made their collegiate debut, with Elvin earning the start and stopping all 23 shots sent her way in 30:58 between the pipes. Ross took over in the second period and made 13 saves.

Yang broke nearly 19 minutes of scoreless hockey on the first of Keon's two assists, interrupting a string of six straight Black Bears shots saved by Elvin.

Five minutes into the second period, a tripping penalty put Brown on the power play and Nedow seized the opportunity, extending the Bears' lead to 2-0 on helpers from Kittredge and Welten. Nursing a two-goal advantage, Elvin made eight more saves before Ross got the call in relief.

LeBoeuf padded the lead further, tallying her first collegiate score just 16 seconds after the goalie change. Brown's third unanswered goal prompted Maine to swap starting goalie Mariah Fujimagari for Meghann Treacy. Fujimagari made 12 saves in 31:13 of play, while Treacy stopped 11 bids and allowed no goals to help keep the Black Bears alive during their eventual rally.

Brown found itself down two players following an interference penalty at 16:27 and a checking call with 2:17 to go in the period, and Brittney Huneke jumped at the chance for Maine, feeding in the Black Bears' first goal of the game and cutting the deficit in half heading into the third period.

The Bears survived two more penalties in the first half of the third frame, and although a third infraction ticked by without incident, Maine's Audra Richards scored just 10 seconds after the visitors returned to full strength to make it a 3-2 game. Less than two minutes later, Kelly McDonald completed the hosts' three-goal rally and tied the contest at 3-3 with a mere 1:22 left in regulation.

The two sides combined for just three shots on goal in the five-minute overtime interval, resolving Brown to its fourth overtime bid and second tie in fives games.

The Bears will see a break from game action over the holiday and resume ECAC Hockey play on Friday, Jan. 3, when they host Cornell at 7 p.m.