Woo’s Overtime Marker, Moore’s Defense Lift Women’s Ice Hockey Over RIT in OT, 2-1

Woo’s Overtime Marker, Moore’s Defense Lift Women’s Ice Hockey Over RIT in OT, 2-1

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Freshman Maddie Woo (Plymouth, Minn.) scored her first collegiate goal in grand fashion when she potted the game-winner with 1:47 left in overtime to give the Brown women's ice hockey team a 2-1 win over RIT in non-conference action at Ritter Arena on Saturday. The Bears exact revenge for a 2-1 setback in yesterday's opener, improving to 1-1-0 with the season's first victory. The Tigers slip to 4-5-0 on the year despite firing a season-high 55 shots on goal.


"We didn't play our best today, but we never gave up," said Head Coach Amy Bourbeau. "We just kept fighting. The third period was do-or-die and we finally got some offense going."


Senior goalie Aubree Moore (Bowie, Md.) protected the Brown net with unwavering vigor, stopping 54-of-55 shots sent her way for a career-best saves performance. The co-captain spoiled several prime RIT scoring opportunities, including a pair of point-blank attempts by Kolbee McCrea in the first period.


Moore allowed just one goal when Lindsay Grigg used a screen and sent home a power play marker from the slot at 12:31 in the second period, accounting for RIT's only successful man-up conversion on seven chances.


Neither team lit the lamp in the first despite 17 shots for the hosts and a pair of power play chances each. Grigg netted the first goal of the game, giving the Tigers a 1-0 lead after a Brown high sticking penalty left the visitors a player short. Moore's relentless goal tending kept the Bears in contention, however, and senior Jessica Hoyle (Toronto, Ontario) delivered the equalizer with 2:40 remaining in regulation when she gathered a clear attempt and uncorked a bullet just inside the right post.


"The game changed on a dime after Jess's goal," Bourbeau said. "We made a steady effort to put more shots on goal and when we got our big chance, we took advantage of it. I'm proud that we got better as the game went on."


The Bears went on the power play at 2:56 into overtime after the Tigers were whistled for too many players on the ice, which gave Brown its fifth and final man-up opportunity. Senior Jennifer Nedow (Brockville, Ontario) ripped the initial shot off the face-off and Woo gathered the deflection on the right side with plenty of room to deposit the deciding goal.


Brooke Stoddard made 17 saves for the Tigers in her collegiate goal-keeping debut and kept the Bears off the board for 57:20 before Hoyle spoiled the shutout.


Brown opens ECAC play next Friday when the Bears travel to preseason favorite Clarkson. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.