PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND – Brown head women's ice hockey coach Amy Bourbeau has announced the four members of the Class of 2017 who will be joining the Bears on the ice in the fall of 2013. The group includes two forwards, a defender and a goalie, and the student-athletes represent three states and the province of New Brunswick.
"I am excited to announce our incoming recruits for the class of 2017," said Bourbeau. "These future Bears are passionate and dedicated student-athletes who are looking forward to continuing the Brown women's hockey tradition."
Hometown: Jackson, MI
High School: Choate Rosemary Hall
Club Team: Assabet Valley U-19
- Completing a post-graduate year at Choate Rosemary Hall
- Currently plays for the Assabet Valley U-19 team and previously played for Little Caesars
- Placed second at Nationals twice with Little Caesars
- Participated in USA Hockey National Development Camps in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011
Thoughts from Coach Bourbeau: " Erin is a very gritty forward, and I love the way she competes each time I watch her. She outworks her opponents and wins battles. Erin is also a USA hockey talent who will raise the bar in terms of competing on the ice. Off the ice, she will add a lot of personality to our team dynamic."
Hometown: Oakland, CA
High School: Oakland Technical Senior High School
Club Team: Alaska All-Stars U-19 and Capital Thunder Boys Midget U-18
- Plays for the Alaska All-Stars U-19 team and the Capital Thunder Boys Midget U-18 team
- Participated in USA Hockey National Development Camps in 2010, 2011 and 2012
Thoughts from Coach Bourbeau: "Monica is a nationally-ranked goalie in the US and will have an immediate impact on our program. She is technically sound and very competitive in net, and, off the ice, she is sweet and humble."
Hometown: Dieppe, New Brunswick
High School: Brewster Academy
Club Team: Team Atlantic / Team New Brunswick
- A four-year letter winner at Brewster Academy where she captained the ice hockey, field hockey and crew teams during her senior season
- Served as a co-captain during her senior year and led her squad to a Lakes Region title
- Competed on Team New Brunswick's U-15 team from 2007 to 2009
- As an assistant captain of Team New Brunswick's U-17 team, she helped the squad win the 2011 Atlantic Cup Challenge
- As a member of Team Atlantic, she attended the Hockey Canada Women's U-18 National Championships in 2011 and 2012
- Additionally, in her 12-season varsity career at Brewster she was able to capture a NEPSAC title in field hockey and was named MVP of the squad during her senior campaign
Thoughts from Coach Bourbeau: "Catherine will add depth to our defense as a very steady presence. We will rely on her for consistency and to make smart decisions with the puck. She is a three-sport captain at her school and is kind-hearted and a natural leader."
Hometown: Plymouth, MN
High School: Maple Grove High School
Club Team: Minnesota Ice Cats
- A two-year captain for the Maple Grove High School ice hockey team
- Also plays for the Minnesota Ice Cats
- Earned Minnesota All-State Honorable Mention in 2013
- Named to the Northwest Suburban All-Conference Team in 2012 and 2013
- Participated in the Minnesota Advanced Final 54 in 2009, 2010 and 2011
Thoughts from Coach Bourbeau: "Maddie is a great skater who moves the puck well. She has hockey smarts and she reads the ice. Off the ice, she is a quiet leader, but she is an exceptional person and she excels in the classroom."