Bears Stun Princeton 4-3 in Overtime Behind Jolin's Game-Winner

Bears Stun Princeton 4-3 in Overtime Behind Jolin's Game-Winner

Princeton, N.J. - Brown (3-20-4, 1-17-3) picked up its first league win of the season on Friday evening, beating Princeton (12-12-4, 10-7-4) in an overtime upset for the second consecutive year by coming away with a 4-3 victory in extra time.  Freshman Laurie Jolin led the way for the Bears, picking up an assist and the game-winning goal to give her 12 points on the season, while goalie Katie Jamieson had 32 saves, including several huge stops down the stretch to preserve the win.

The first period began with all of the momentum seemingly on the side of the Tigers, as Princeton scored with just 1:50 run off the clock in the opening minutes, tying the puck up in front of net before poking it in for a 1-0 lead.  The Bears had a chance to answer at the 6:30 mark, when they had a five-on-three opportunity for over a minute, but Princeton was able to kill off the penalties without any damage, and ended the frame still clinging to a one goal lead.

The Tigers kept things rolling early in the second, scoring again just over two minutes into the period to open up a 2-0 lead, and appeared ready to break open the contest.  However, the Bears came storming back, scoring their first goal just 1:30 later to pull to within one.  After a Princeton shot that was saved by goalie Katie Jamieson, Brown collected the rebound and skated quickly up the ice, where senior Sasha Van Muyen picked up the unassisted goal.

Princeton nearly answered again at the midway point of the period, catching Brown on a shift change to pick up a breakaway opportunity, but Jamieson made an impressive stop to keep the Bears within striking distance.  A few minutes later, with just over three minutes remaining in the period, Brown took advantage, scoring its second goal of the frame to tie the game at two apiece.  After a nice pass up-ice set up a two-on-one chance, senior Nicole Brown brought the puck up, drew in the defender, and dished off to sophomore Vika Mykolenko, who knocked it into net for her first goal of the season.

With the teams coming out of the second intermission still tied at 2-2, the stage was set for a thrilling third period, and it quickly became evident that neither squad would go down easily.  The Bears scored their third consecutive goal just under five minutes into the period, taking their first lead of the game on a nice shot by sophomore Katelyn Landry, her second goal of the season.  Assists went to junior Erica Kromm and rookie Laurie Jolin.  However, the Tigers wasted no time in coming back, scoring their third goal just 58 seconds later, and forcing another tie at 3-3.

Though both teams competed with playoff intensity down the stretch, neither squad was able to find the back of net, and the game headed for overtime, bringing back memories of last season, when Brown knocked off the Tigers 2-1 in an overtime thriller.  For much of the extra frame it appeared that the game would go down as a tie, as both defenses were denying good scoring looks.  Once again though, the Bears appeared to find some magic in Hoby Baker Rink, as Jolin scored her fifth goal of the season with less than a minute remaining in overtime to give Brown the stunning victory.

Brown will be back in action tomorrow afternoon, when the team wraps up its season at Quinnipiac at 4:00 p.m.