#6 Harvard Grabs 4-1 Win Over Bears

#6 Harvard Grabs 4-1 Win Over Bears

Cambridge, MA - Despite holding even with the #6 Crimson (14-5-4, 10-5-2) through much of two periods, Brown (2-17-4, 0-14-3) dropped a 4-1 game to Harvard on Friday evening, as rookie goalie Katie Jamieson's 40 saves weren't enough to staunch the Crimson's offense.  Freshman defender Victoria Smith scored her first career goal to pull the Bears into a 1-1 deadlock in the second period, but Harvard goalie Laura Bellamy allowed nothing else past her in just her eighth career start.

The first period was largely unremarkable for the first 19 minutes, as scoring or penalties occurred, and the teams mustered just 14 shots between them.  With just 1:02 remaining in the frame, however, the Crimson tallied the first goal of the game.  Though Jamieson made the initial save on a Harvard shot, the rebound kicked out in front of net, where freshman Josephine Pucci knocked it into the top corner for a 1-0 lead.

In the second, the action was again dominated by defense and goalkeeping for the majority of the frame, as the score remained 1-0 through the first 17 minutes.  Brown was finally able to break through with three minutes left though, as senior Sasha Van Muyen fed the puck to the point, where Smith fired in a long range shot through a thicket of defenders, finding net for a 1-1 tie.  However, Harvard answered less than two minutes later with a fast break score just before the end of the frame, regaining some momentum and a 2-1 lead going into the second intermission.

The Crimson struck again near the midway point of the third frame, once more slipping the puck past Jamieson for a 3-1 lead.  Brown had a chance to climb back into the game with just under 10 minutes left, when two quick penalties on Harvard led to a five-on-three opportunity for the Bears.  However, Harvard's penalty kill lived up to its lofty reputation, holding Brown off the scoreboard, and keeping the score at 3-1.  With just under a minute left, the Crimson knocked in one final power play goal, making the final margin 4-1 in favor of the home team.

The Bears will be back in action tomorrow afternoon, when they travel to Hanover to take on the Dartmouth Big Green at 4:00 p.m.