Bears Drop 3-2 Thriller to St. Cloud State

Bears Drop 3-2 Thriller to St. Cloud State

The Bears lost an exciting 3-2 game on Saturday afternoon, as St. Cloud State used opportunistic scoring to edge Bruno despite 22 saves from junior goalie Joy Joung in her first career start. With the loss, Brown falls to 1-8-3 on the season, with an 0-5-3 record in ECAC play, while St. Cloud improves to 7-9-0 overall, and 4-8-0 against WCHA opponents.

Brown struck quickly in the first period, notching the first goal less than five minutes into the action. After senior Nicole Brown narrowly missed lighting the lamp, classmate Erin Connors picked up the rebound and fired it back into net, giving Brown an early 1-0 lead. Kath Surbey completed the senior trifecta, as she and Brown were credited with assists on the play.

Though St. Cloud picked up a goal of its own with eight minutes left in the frame, Joung was impressive in the first, making 10 saves, and holding the Huskies to just the single goal, preserving the 1-1 tie through the first intermission. Joung continued to shine in the second, stopping all four shots that she saw to shut out St. Cloud in the middle period. The Huskies were equally tough though, as the Bears had a similarly difficult time scoring, and the score stayed at 1-1 entering the third.

The third period looked as though it may be another scoreless frame initially, the Huskies found a crack in the defense with just over six minutes elapsed. Joung made the initial save on a breakaway opportunity, but couldn’t quite corral the puck, and St. Cloud was able to slip it in for a 2-1 advantage. The Huskies tallied another score just before the midway point, knocking in a power play goal on a fortuitous tip in front of net. Brown answered back with just over five minutes to play though, as junior Jenna Dancewicz scored her first goal of the season to bring Bruno to within one. The Bears had a chance to tie, going on the power play with 1:07 remaining, and pulling Joung for the 6-on-4 advantage, but the Huskies were able to fend off the final surge and hold on for a 3-2 win.

The Bears will be back in action on Friday, December 4, when they hit the road to play the Colgate Raiders at 7:00 p.m.