No. 7 Connecticut Slides Past Brown in Overtime, 2-1

The Brown field hockey team lost a close game in overtime yesterday when they traveled to Storrs, Connecticut to take on the 7th ranked Huskies. The Bears were spectacular, holding UConn scoreless for the first 68 minutes of the contest with a relentless defense and excellent goalkeeping.

The first half was scoreless for both sides, as Brown's defensive unit shut down all attempts to score by the Huskies, who had ten shots and six corners in the first 35 minutes of the game. Brown tallied three shots and had only one corner, with goalie Annie Owens (Louisville, KY) registering four solid saves in the net. Megan Patterson (Holliston, MA) and Cory Pelletier (Walpole, MA) each made key defensive saves for the Bears as well.

All fired up in the second half, it did not take long for Brown to finally put the ball in the net. Susy Garcia (Highland Lakes, NJ) got the play started in the midfield, when she ran onto a pass and continued to carry the ball through the Connecticut defense and into the top of the circle. She drove the ball across the net and Cara Gardner (Hensall, Ontario) redirected it, sending it through her legs and into the goal at 29:17. The Brown defense kept UConn in check for the rest of the half, holding onto their lead until only two minutes remained in regulation. At 2:01, Husky Amy Marland notched the tying goal when she connected on a pass from Amy Herz, sending the game into overtime.

Neither team could put another goal on the board in the first thirteen minutes of 7 vs. 7 over time, although both sides had very close opportunities. The winning tally came at 2:06, when Connecticut's Laura Klein found the back of the net after receiving a solid pass from Amy Herz.

Connecticut registered 24 shots total in the game, took 15 penalty corners and had one defensive save, while Brown had a total of seven shots, one corner and three defensive saves.

Husky goalie Alana Linick recorded nine saves in the net. Annie Owens recorded 13 saves and played a stellar game in goal for the Bears, anchoring an excellent defensive unit.

Connecticut's record improves to 9-2 overall, while Brown drops to 3-3.

The Bears have their next game at home, this Sunday, October 1, when they take on the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers at 1:00 p.m.