Bears' Comeback Falls Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Cornell

Bears' Comeback Falls Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Cornell

Oct. 25, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - The Brown field hockey team (3-11, 0-5) put forth a valiant effort on Saturday afternoon against Cornell (10-4, 5-0), nearly netting the game-tying goal with less than eight minutes left in the game, but the Big Red scored a late goal to earn a 4-2 win over the Bears on Saturday afternoon at Warner Roof.

The Big Red took a 1-0 lead just 2:27 into the game when Sara Sanders knocked the ball past freshman Caroline Washburn (Pittsburgh, PA) off a rebound of a Belen Martinez shot.

The Bears tied the game 19 minutes later, scoring on a direct shot off their only corner of the half. Freshman Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) pushed the ball out to junior Michaela Seigo (Annandale, VA), who stopped it for sophomore Katie Hyland (Riegelsville, PA). Hyland's shot from the top of the circle beat Cornell's Melanie Jue to the right post, tying the game at 21:42.

The Big Red regained the one-goal lead with just 2:24 remaining in the half when Kelley Kantarian fed Catie De Stio, whose shot from the right side beat Washburn far corner, as Cornell led, 2-1, at the break.

Cornell increased its lead to 3-1 when Kantarian knocked the ball past Washburn off a feed from Mattie Prodanovic at 49:25.

Just 3:46 later, sophomore Tacy Zysk (Walpole, MA) brought the Bears to within 3-2 with her second goal of the season. On another Brown corner, a shot by Hyland was headed to the right post, where freshman Kit Masini (Ann Arbor, MI) was stationed. Masini redirected the ball across to Zysk, who tipped it into the net from the left post.

Following the goal, Brown had the better of the play, outshooting Cornell, 6-0 over the next nine minutes and earning four penalty corners in a span of 1:33. Despite getting four shots off in that time, the Bears were unable to net the equalizer.

The Big Red had three shots in the final minute of play, and Kantarian notched her second of the game with 42 seconds remaining to account for the 4-2 final.

Washburn finished the game with 11 saves, while Jue made one save for Cornell. The Bears continue action on Wednesday, October 29, when they travel to Holy Cross for a 4:00 p.m. contest.