Taft Scores Twice to Lead Bears Past Fairfield, 2-1

Taft Scores Twice to Lead Bears Past Fairfield, 2-1

Oct. 1, 2008

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Freshman Abigail Taft (Shaker Heights, OH) scored two goals to help lead the Brown field hockey team (2-6) to a 2-1 victory over Fairfield (3-9) on Wednesday afternoon at Warner Roof.

The Bears wasted little time in taking a 1-0 lead as Taft scored her first of the game just 1:39 in on Brown's first shot of the game. Freshman Leslie Springmeyer (New Vernon, NJ) collected the ball along the left sideline and hit Taft with a long diagonal pass through the center of the field. Taft received the ball ahead of her defender and broke in on Megan Ambrose one-on-one. She made one move to get back around her defender and beat the Fairfield keeper with a strong shot to the left corner of the cage.

Following the goal, Fairfield picked up its tempo, finishing the half with a 7-2 advantage in shots, and keeping the Brown defense on its toes the entire time.

Freshman Caroline Washburn (Pittsburgh, PA), who made her first career start in net, made a beautiful save on Fairfield's Jill Piacquadio with 22:48 left to keep the stags off the board. With Piacquadio running in on a breakaway, Washburn came out of the cage and made a diving save. Then, with 10:30 left in the half, Justine LeBlanc had Washburn beat, but junior Michaela Seigo (Annandale, VA) recorded a defensive save to hold the lead for Brown.

Fairfield finally broke through at 33:04 when Molly Byrnes tipped a shot from Emily Janis, beating Washburn on the right, to tie the game at 1-1.

The Stags opened the second half with momentum on their side following the tying goal and built an 11-2 advantage in shots and a 4-2 edge in corners. Hilary Burns nearly put Fairfield up, 2-1, with 17 minutes left with a long shot from the right side, but again, Seigo had a defensive save to end the scoring threat.

With time ticking down and Brown nearly on the way to its third straight overtime game, Taft knocked in the game-winner with just 5:11 left to play on Brown's second shot of the half. Alone in front of the cage, Taft collected the ball, calmly spun to get it on her strong side and fired a shot that beat Ambrose near-post for the winner.

In addition to scoring both goals, Taft also led Brown with three shots. Washburn recorded seven saves to earn her first career victory. The Bears return to action on Saturday, October 4, when they host Harvard in a 12:00 noon game.