Field Hockey Stunned by Dartmouth’s Second Half Rally in 4-3 Loss

Field Hockey Stunned by Dartmouth’s Second Half Rally in 4-3 Loss

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Brown's 3-2 first half lead succumbed to Dartmouth's two-goal second period rally as the Brown field hockey team (3-4, 0-2 Ivy) fell to the Big Green (2-4, 1-1 Ivy), 4-3, in its Ivy League home opener on Goldberger Family Field on Saturday.

Juniors Clayton Christus (Bernardsville, N.J.) and Meghan O'Donnell (Winchester, Mass.) hit paydirt with first half goals - two for O'Donnell and one for Christus - to give the Bears a 3-2 lead at halftime, but Eliza Becker and Maggie Scanlon struck for the visitors in the second half to give Dartmouth its first league win of the season.

O'Donnell opened the scoring for Brown with a breakaway shot from the right side, placing a low shot into the left corner of the cage from a tough angle after a pass from senior Avery Burns (Millersville, Md.) in the 12th minute. Less than six minutes later, Burns lined up for a penalty corner and pushed the ball to Christus, who kept it and chopped in the Bears' second goal at 18:09.

The Big Green quickly evened the score with a pair of goals just two minutes apart. Janine Leger got Dartmouth on the board on a well-executed corner at 21:52, and Heather Zezzo beat the opposition to a loose ball in front of the net and made a diving push past Brown junior goalie Shannon McSweeney (Boxborough, Mass.) to tie the game at 2-2 at 23:52.

O'Donnell reclaimed the lead for Brown in the 27th minute on a daring one-handed diving shot that resulted in her team-best sixth goal of the season, but the Bears would not score again in the contest. It was not for lack of opportunities, however, as Dartmouth goalie Ellen Meyer stepped up with crucial saves to keep Brown at bay. Sophomore Alexis Miller (Caldwell, N.J.) crushed a shot off a corner for what looked like a sure goal as time expired in the first half but Meyer deflected the attempt with an agile stick save.

Meyer foiled another scoring attempt in the 47th minute when she rushed out to kick away an O'Donnell breakaway bid, and later forced O'Donnell to pull back on another breakaway, leading to a pass to sophomore Hannah Rogers (Los Altos, Calif.) who flipped a backhand shot just wide of the goal.

Becker's tip-in in the 57th minute knotted the game at 3-3, and Scanlon gathered a loose ball from 10 yards out and slipped a stealthy shot through a tight bunch of defenders to give Dartmouth the 4-3 advantage with under two minutes to play.

McSweeney made seven saves before the Bears pulled her in favor of an 11th attacker for the final 1:51. Meyer stopped five shots in the Big Green victory.

Brown returns to action on Wednesday with a non-conference contest at Providence at 7 p.m.