Bears Finish Seventh at Heptagonal Championships
Oct. 27, 2006
Bronx, NY -
The Ivy League Heptagonal Championship meet took place this weekend at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City. The Bears faced tough Ivy League competition, finishing seventh overall with a score of 139 points. Princeton took top honors with 50 points.
Although the team competition proved fierce, some of the Brown men managed to post personal bests regardless. Freshman Christian Escareno (Mount Prospect, IL) placed first for the Bears and 16th overall with a time of 25:12, 11 second fastor than his time on this same 8k course at the Iona Meet of Champions last month. Junior Ari Zamir (Ridgewood, NJ) was next for Brown in 20th place with a 25:15 performance. Zamir also recorded a personal best, finishing 15 seconds faster than at the 2005 Heptagonal Meet.
Senior Nick Neely (Portola Valley, CA) was next in 30th with a 25:22 effort, followed by junior, Ozzie Myers (Chittenango, NY) in 35th and a time of 25:28. Senior captain Chris Burke (Ann Arbor, Michigan) was Brown's last scorer, placing 38th with a 25:29 race.
Although the Heptagonal Championships have now passed, the Bears have not seen the last of their Ivy League competitors. Brown still has the NCAA Northeast Regional Meet on November 11 to look forward to. This meet will also be held at Van Cortlandt Park.
1. Princeton 50
2. Columbia 63
3. Dartmouth 97
4. Yale 116
5. Cornell 122
6. Penn 123
7. Brown 139
8. Harvard 174
1. Ben True, Dartmouth, 24:29.1
2. Jimmy Wyner, Cornell, 24:32.0
3. Dave Nightingale, Princeton, 24:33.3
16. Christian Escareno, Brown, 25:12.8
20. Ari Zamir, Brown, 25:15.5
30. Nick Neely, Brown, 25:22.8
35. Ozzie Myers, Brown, 25:28.1
38. Chris Burke, Brown, 25:29.7
50. Neil Hamel, Brown, 25:45.5
51. Ryan Graddy, Brown, 25:47.3
58. Brian Schmidt, Brown, 25:52.3
59. Stephen Chaloner, Brown, 25:52.8
61. Nick Sarro, Brown, 25:55.6
67. Duriel Hardy, Brown, 26:06.6
91. John Loeser, Brown, 28:42.7