M. Cross Country Dominates New England Championships
Oct. 8, 2005
Boston, MA - The men's cross country team competed today at the New England Championships at Franklin Park in Boston. The harriers dominated both the varsity and sub-varsity competitions, claiming both team and individual titles in the two races. Rainy, muddy conditions and tactical races made for slow times on the 8-kilometer course, but the men easily overcame these challenges.
The varsity Bears tallied 40 points for the varsity race, easily outpacing second place Harvard, who scored 146.
Senior captain Owen Washburn (Amherst, MA) led his team by finishing first overall, outkicking the competition in the final straightaway. Washburn crossed with a time of 24:56.
Also finishing in the top ten overall were juniors Chris Burke (Dexter, MI) and Nick Neely (Portola Valley, CA) and Neil Hamel (Cumberland, RI). Burke placed fourth with a time of 25:01, Neely seventh in 25:12, and Hamel tenth in 25:18.
Sophomore Nick Sarro (Chatham, NY) rounded out the scorers for the varsity Bears. Placing in the top five for the first time this season, he took 18th in 25:32.
In the sub-varsity competition, sophomore Ari Zamir (Ridgewood, NJ) took the individual title with a time of 26:03. He led the Bears to a perfect score of 15 points, as Brown swept the top six individual spots. Sophomore Ryan Graddy (San Diego, CA) was second (26:04), junior Eamon Quick ( ,AZ) was third (26:11), freshman Brian Schmidt (West Hempstead, NY) was fourth (26:19), freshman Stephen Chaloner (Merrimack, NH) was fifth, and senior Tushar Gurjal (New York, NY) was sixth (26:31).
The Bears will return to competition on October 28 as they take on the rest of the Ivies at the Heptagonal Championships in New York City.
1. Brown 40
2. Harvard 146
3. Boston College 157
4. Dartmouth 189
5. UMass Lowell 206
1. Owen Washburn, Brown, 24:56
2. Patrick Morassee, UMass Lowell, 24:56
3. Neal Holtschulte, Williams, 24:57
4. Chris Burke, Brown, 25:01
5. Matt Lacey, Tufts, 25:05
6. Ryan Gough, Keene State, 25:09
7. Nick Neely, Brown, 25:12
8. Ryan Agnew, Bentley, 25:14
9. Patrick Mellea, Boston College, 25:15
10. Neil Hamel, Brown, 25:18
18. Nick Sarro, Brown, 25:32
44. Jordan Kinley, Brown, 26:08
74. Ozzie Myers, Brown, 26:39
1. Brown 15
2. Boston College 77
3. Dartmouth 87
4. Williams 107
5. Quinnipiac 190
1. Ari Zamir, Brown, 26:03
2. Ryan Graddy, Brown, 26:04
3. Eamon Quick, Brown, 26:11
4. Brian Schmidt, Brown, 26:19
5. Stephen Chaloner, Brown, 26:25
6. Tushar Gurjal, Brown, 26:31
15. Jacob Nettleton, Brown, 26:56
17. Alex Enscoe, Brown, 26:57
69. Finn Yarbrough, Brown, 28:08
129. Craig Fountain, Brown, 29:03
Full Varsity and Sub-Varsity Results
Dan Grossman '71: 2005 Cross Country Pictures