Hanegby & Charm Claim ITA Northeast Regional Doubles Title
Oct. 25, 2005
HANOVER, NH - Senior Philip Charm (Concord, MA) and junior Dan Hanegby (Herzliya, Israel) won five straight doubles matches, including victories over four seeded players, to earn the 2005 ITA Northeast Regional Doubles Title. The ITA Regional Championships were held October 21-25 at Dartmouth. Charm and Hanegby, seeded fourth in the tournament, earned an 8-6 victory over second-seeded Jimmy and Marty Moore of Columbia on Tuesday morning to claim the title. By virtue of their victory, Cham and Hanegby have advanced to the National Indoors, which will be held November 3-6,2005, at the Racquet Club of Columbus, OH, hosted by Ohio State.
Hanegby and Charm began their Championship run with a bye in the Round of 64. In their first match, the duo earned an 8-5 win over UMBC's David Jackson and Irfan Shamasdin, younger brother of former Brown standout Adil '05, who advanced to the Quarterfinals of last year's NCAA Doubles Tournament with Charm. In the Round of 16, Hanegby and Charm posted an 8-3 win over 13th-seeded Mikhail Bekker and Jonathan Boym of Penn. The duo cruised past sixth-seeded Adam Slagter and Mark Barry of Penn State in the quarterfinals, 8-4, and earned an 8-5 win over tenth-seeded Brandon Wai and Josh Lederman of Yale in the semifinals, setting up this morning's Championship match against the Moore brothers.
In other doubles action, freshmen Sam Garland (Bradenton, FL) and Christopher Lee (Sudbury, MA) earned an 8-5 victory over Jared Dye and Peter George of Seton Hall in the Round of 64, before falling to seventh-seeded Nicholas Delgado and Albert Larrygola of Virginia Tech in the Round of 32.
In singles action, fifth-seeded Hanegby and junior Eric Thomas (Cincinnati, OH), who was seeded ninth, advanced to the quarterfinals before being eliminated. Senior Luke Tedaldi (West Newton, MA) and sophomore Saurabh Kohli (Colaba, Mumbai, India) each earned wins in the Round of 128, before getting eliminated in the Round of 64. Charm, seeded 18th, Thomas, and Hanegby all had a bye for the Round of 128 and all three of them earned victories in the Round of 64 to advance to the Round of 32. Charm defeated Jimmy Moore of Columbia, 6-3, 6-1. Thomas defeated Diego Alvarado of Manhattan, 6-3, 6-4, while Hanegby defeated Mike Crooks of Stony Brook, 6-1, 6-3.
In the Round of 32, Thomas posted a 6-2, 7-6 (5) win, while Hanegby earned a 6-3, 6-0 victory. Both won again in the Round of 16, with Thomas winning 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (3), over seventh-seeded Zoltan Bus of Manhattan, and Hanegby winning, 6-1, 6-4.
The Bears continue action November 5-7 when they travel back to Hanover to take part in the Dartmouth Invitational.
Singles Round of 128
Tedaldi (B) def. Martin (Colgate); 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
Kohli (B) def. Adams (St. Joe's); 6-3, 6-4
Kang (Army) def. Scherer (B); 7-5, 6-2
(5) Hanegby (B) - BYE
(9) Thomas (B) - BYE
(18) Charm (B) - BYE
Singles Round of 64
(1) Wai (Yale) def. Tedaldi (B); 6-2, 6-4
(2) Puranen (Virginia Tech) def. Kohli (B); 7-5, 6-4
(5) Hanegby (B) def. Crooks (Stony Brook); 6-1, 6-3
(9) Thomas (B) def. Alvarado (Manhattan); 6-3, 6-4
(18) Charm (B) def. Jimmy Moore (Columbia); 6-3, 6-1
Singles Round of 32
(5) Hanegby (B) def. Nikola Djordjevic (Hofstra); 6-3, 6-0
(9) Thomas (B) def. Accordino (Columbia); 6-2, 7-6 (5)
(16) Ermakov (Harvard) def. (18) Charm (B); 7-5, 6-3
Singles Round of 16
(5) Hanegby (B) def. (28) Raff (Cornell); 6-1, 6-4
(9) Thomas (B) def. (7) Bus (Manhattan); 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (3)
(2) Puranen (Virginia Tech) def. (5) Hanegby (B); 6-3, 7-6 (3)
(1) Wai (Yale) def. (9) Thomas (B); 6-2, 6-1
Doubles Round of 64
Garland/Lee (B) def. Dye/George (Seton Hall); 8-5
Meir/Crooks (Stony Brook) def. Kohli/Thomas (B); 8-6
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) - BYE
Doubles Round of 32
(7) Delgado/Larrygola (Virginia Tech) def. Garland/Lee (B); 8-6
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) def. Jackson/Shamasdin (UMBC); 8-5
Doubles Round of 16
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) def. (13) Bekker/Baym (Penn); 8-3
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) def. (6) Slagter/Barry (Penn State); 8-4
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) def. (10) Wai/Lederman (Yale); 8-5
(4) Hanegby/Charm (B) def. (2) M. Moore/J. Moore (Columbia); 8-6