PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown men's tennis team fell to 0-4 in Ivy play this season after a narrow 4-3 loss to No. 52 Cornell on Sunday at the Brown Varsity Tennis Courts.
Brown's top-three singles players of Justin To, Brandon Burke, and William Spector dropped hard fought decisions to their Cornell counterparts. To took Sam Fleck to three sets before ultimately falling, 5-7, 6-3, 1-6 while Burke dropped a 1-6, 2-6 decision to Stefan Vinti. Spectory also battled hard through three sets before being edged by Caseres Rosa, 6-3, 3-6, 3-6.
Daniel Hirschberg nabbed a victory for Brown as he outlasted Chris Vrabel, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 before Ivan Kravtchenko recorded his second singles win of the weekend, a 7-5, 7-6 triumph over Alex Sidney. Lucas Da Silveira's 7-6, 6-4 win wasn't enough as the Big Red grabbed the crucial doubles point to steal the 4-3 victory.
The Bears will return to action on Friday for a home tilt against Harvard beginning at 2 p.m.
#52 CORNELL 4, BROWN 3
Sunday's results; at Varsity Tennis Courts; Providence, R.I.
1. #49 Jason Luu/Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (C) def. Daniel Hirschberg/Gregory Garcia, 8-3
2. Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (C) def. Lucas Da Silveira/Justin To, 8-3
3. Bernardo Casares Rosa/Colin Sinclair (C) vs. Brandon Burke/William Spector, unfinished (6-5)
1. Fleck (C) def. To, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2. Stefan Vinti (C) def. Burke, 6-1, 6-2
3. Casares Rosa (C) def. Spector, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Hirschberg (B) def. Vrabel, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6
5. Ivan Kravtchenko (B) def. Alex Sidney, 7-5, 7-6
6. Da Silveira (B) def. Luu, 7-6, 6-4