Ranked three places higher in the pre-season rankings, but having graduated two of the top five last year, there were a lot of unknowns on the Brown squad heading into its match with Bates. The end results was a hard fought 5-4 win over Bates.
Freshman Neel Swami played a dominant match at #9, beating his opponent, 3-0, and starting out his Brown Squash career on a high note, but both of the other first round matches (#6 and #3) went to Bates.
The second round started the same, with freshman Avi Bahvnani taking the win in three games. Tod Holberton narrowly lost a very close four game match that could have gone either way at #5, and sophmore captian Blake Reinson was victorious in four games.
Sophmore Chip Leibowitz continued the Brown dominance at the bottom of the line-up, taking the win 3-1, and with the match score at 3-4, the Bears had to win one of the final two matches to secure victory.
Senior Tucker Bryan put up a good fight, but ultimately lost in four, leaving all of the pressure on senior captain Brad Thompson. Though the pressure was high, Thompson went to work, and gave his Bates opponent Robert Burns a thorough tour of the squash court. So thorough in fact that though Burns did manage to take the fourth game, the match outcome was hardly in doubt. Thompson took it in four games and sealed the overall for teh Bears.
Brown 5, Bates 4
Nov. 19, 2011 at MIT
1. Burns,Robert P. (Bates) def. by Thompson,Brad (Brown) 11-7,11-8,11-13,11-7
2. Muldoon,Kristian (Bates) def. by Reinson,Blake A. (Brown) 11-6,11-5,9-11,11-5
3. Keating,R. J. (Bates) def. O'Connor,Eamon F (Brown) 11-7,11-8,11-9
4. Bedell,Eric S (Bates) def. Bryan,William (Brown) 11-7,11-4,8-11,11-3
5. Cannon,Andy (Bates) def. Holberton,Tod (Brown) 11-13,11-9,11-9,12-10
6. Saleem,Nabil (Bates) def. Oberbeck,John Eric (Brown) 11-8,11-7,6-11,11-9
7. Shrubb,Jason A (Bates) def. by Lebovitz,Charles C. (Brown) 11-4,11-8,6-11,9-11,11-6
8. Fearnley,William T (Bates) def. by Bhavnani,Avinash (Brown) 11-2,11-5,11-7
9. Galvao,Rodney (Bates) def. by Swami,Neel (Brown) 11-5,11-7,11-7
Exh. Hackney,Julian (Bates) def. by O'Neill,Patrick (Brown) 11-6,11-5,11-7