#15 Brown Falls To #2 Maryland, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round

#15 Brown Falls To #2 Maryland, 2-1, In NCAA Second Round

College Park, Md. – Dan Metzger scored in the 90th minute to lift the No. 2 Maryland Terrapins to a 2-1 victory over No. 15 Brown in the second round of the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Tournament on Sunday evening at Ludwig Field.

It was a bittersweet end for the Brown seniors, who were playing in their 10th NCAA Playoff game in the last four years.

After a Brown foul in the final minute of the game, Maryland obtained possession of the ball on a restart.  Helge Leikvang booted the ball to Metzger in front of the net and put it past senior goalkeeper Sam Kernan-Schloss (Arlington, VA) to end the Bears' season. 

"It's an unfortunate way for that game to end," said Head Coach Patrick Laughlin.  "We knew it was going to end on a quick play either way, and unfortunately, Maryland was on the right side of that kind of play.  We hope they win the National Championship.  I'm really proud of our players and their efforts, and I'm really proud of this team."

Brown senior forward Bobby Belair (Myrtle Beach, SC) gave the Bears an early 1-0 lead in the 17th minute when he beat Maryland keeper Keith Cardona after a Dylan Remick (Inverness, IL) corner kick.   The goal was Belair's fourth of the season, and Remick's third assist in the Bears' last two games.

Just when it looked like the Bears would head into halftime with a lead, Maryland evened the score just before the half with a goal in the 44th minute when Patrick Mullins blasted in a shot from 30 yards out. 

Maryland edged Brown in shots, 8-4, and led 5-2 in corner kicks in the opening 45 minutes of play.

"We seem to have been scoring a lot of the first goals lately," added Laughlin.  "Sometimes it has helped us and sometimes it has not.   I think it helped us tonight.  Coming into this environment, getting a lead is only going to be helpful.  It's going to cause a little bit of pressure on them, which it did. It was a great game."

After the half, both teams came out firing.  Mullins tried to tally another goal in the 56th minute, but Kernan-Schoss came up with a great save to keep the game tied.   Down at the other end, Belair fired one off that missed just to the right of the goal. 

Maryland had a great look on the Brown net in the 80th minute, but senior defender Eric Robertson (San Antonio, TX) made a spectacular save when he blocked the ball with his body.  Maryland shut down the Bears in the final minutes of the game, and continued to press.  It would finally pay off for the Terrapins when Metzger scored in the final minute.

Maryland outshot Brown 13-10 for the game and had a 9-3 advantage in corner kicks.  Kernan-Schloss ended the game with one save, while Cardona posted two.  

For the class of 2013, which played its final game, the group will graduate with an overall record of 48-15-15, a winning percentage of .712, including four consecutive trips to at least the second round of the NCAA Championship. 
Pictured:  Sam Kernan-Schloss '13.  photo courtesy of UMD Athletics